How to appeal against your rate liability
You can ask us to reconsider our decision:
- to hold you liable for rates, on your own or with someone else
- not to award an exemption
- to issue a completion notice for a new or altered building
• emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, OR
• writing to us at
Birmingham City Council
Resources Directorate (Revenues and Benefits)
PO Box 5
Birmingham B4 7AB
You will need to state clearly what it is you are asking us to reconsider and provide supporting evidence.
The council does not decide your rateable value (RV). If you are unhappy with your banding you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and ask them to review it.
We will respond in writing once we have reviewed our decision. We aim to do this within 28 days although you should receive a reply much sooner.
- If we agree your liability is incorrect we will send you a revised bill
- If we decide our original decision was correct we will provide you with a full written explanation.
If you wish to challenge our decision you will need to attend a liability order hearing at the magistrates’ court.