Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Part P - New Rules for Electrical Safety in the Home

Part P - New Rules for Electrical Safety in the Home

The new Part P regulations concerning electrical work apply mainly to dwelling houses/flats including gardens, outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses. From the 1st January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations associated with these dwellings falls under the Building Regulations

The new rules have been introduced to:

  • Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations
  • To prevent cowboy builders leaving electrical installations in an unsafe condition

If you do not follow the new Building regulations:

  • The electrical work undertaken may not be safe
  • You may difficulty selling your home if you are not in possession of the correct certificates
  • We may insist you put right faulty work

Work that requires approval

Work that involves adding a new circuit or electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms or any of these special locations will require approval under Part P.

  • Locations containing a bath or shower facility
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools
  • Saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Small scale generators such as microCHP units.
  • Extra low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE Marked lighting sets.

What are my Options?

A Building Regulation will not be required if the work is undertaken by a electrician who is registered under the Competent Person Scheme.

Why should I use an installer who is registered with a competent person scheme?

  • Members of schemes can deal with all the new rules for you
  • Members are qualified to carry out electrical work.
  • Members will give you a certificate to confirm their work follows the new rules.
  • You will not have to pay Building Control charges.
  • You will have the option of taking out an insurance-backed guarantee for the work.
  • You will have access to a formal complaints procedure if you are not happy with the work.

To contact one of the Competent Person's Scheme, please use one of the links below:

BRE Certification Ltd
Phone: 0870 609 6093
Website: http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=1762

British Standards Institution
Phone: 01442 230442
Website: http://www.bsigroup.com/

ELECSA Limited
Phone: 0870 749 0080
Website: http://www.elecsa.co.uk/

NAPIT Certification Limited
Phone: 0870 444 1392
Website: www.napit.org.uk

NICEIC Certification Services Ltd
Phone: 0800 013 0900
Website: www.niceic.org.uk

Please note that in the case of applications already submitted for extensions and new dwellings, a Completion Certificate will not be issued unless:

  • A Certificate is produced from a competent electrical installer to prove compliance or,
  • An additional charge is paid when work is being undertaken by a 'unregistered electrician' - Building Consultancy will arrange for a competent electrician to undertake the inspection on your behalf.

Work carried out by unregistered electricians

Where work is being carried out by an unregistered electrician on a DIY basis you will need to submit a Part P Building Notice to us. This will incur a charge to cover the cost to send an inspector to site to carry out first-fix and final inspections, and to verify your contractor's test results. Once this is satisfactory a completion certificate will be issued by us.


If your project involves the construction of a new bathroom, kitchen or a new dwelling, then most electrical work will need to comply. Please discuss this with your appointed builder or electrical installer at the earliest opportunity to avoid problems at a later stage.