Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 23 July 2016 from 3.30 am to 1 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Building Regulations Made Simple

Your Choice of Application Route

There are two choices of application available to you. You can choose either a Full Plans or Building Notice Application. To help you decide on the best route to take we have included the following information.

Please note that the Building Notice Route is not applicable in all circumstances, if in doubt please ring Building Consultancy Direct on 0121 675 7006 for advice.


Please note, if your proposed work is situated over or close to a public sewer (shown on the public sewer map) a Building Notice will not be acceptable, a Full Plans application will therefore be necessary. Please check whether your proposal will effect a public sewer by contacting either Severn Trent Water Ltd on 0121 452 3306 or Joy Davies, Building Consultancy on 0121 675 7006 prior to submitting your Building Notice application.

This is the alternative to submitting a Full Plans Application.

The fundamental difference between the two methods is that this route does not require the submission of detailed plans.

You are only required to submit a Building Notice Application form and a scaled site location plan.

For a more detailed explanation of submitting an application, please visit our Building Notice section

The principal advantages of using this method is that once your plans have been approved you will receive an Approval Notice. Your builder can then work to those drawings without fear of contravening the regulations during the building process.

You will also receive a Completion Certificate when work has been completed on-site.

For a more detailed explanation of submitting an application, please visit our Full Plans section

Points to Remember

Whatever option you choose, once the building work is underway, a Building Control Officer will visit at various stages to check that building regulations are being met. When the works have been completed satisfactorily, we will issue a Completion Certificate.

Once we have received your Building Regulations application, you normally have three years to start work. After that time you will need to re-apply.

Don't forget! You may also need Planning Permission and will need to make a separate application for this.

Useful Guides

Visit our section on Conservatories or Porches for further information.

Visit our section on House Extensions for further information.