Bereavement Services Customer Charter
What our customers can expect
We will display or make available:
- cemeteries and crematoria fees and charges
- opening and closing times
- information about the service
- benchmark our service against similar service providers every year
- provide a caring and sensitive service to the bereaved, which recognises their needs without unfairness or discrimination
- value our customers' opinions and comments, and use them to improve the service we provide
- respond to complaints or enquiries within 15 working days
- make sure that all our employees are polite, smart and wear name badges
- organise dignified and respectful burial and cremation services supported by competent employees in accordance with the Federation of Burial and Cremation Code of Cremation Practice
- carry out each cremation on the same day as the service
- consult with all of our service users after every service and monitor feedback from our service users' surveys and publish the information on the Birmingham City Council website
- provide information regarding our services that is clear and easy to understand
- provide information in different languages where requested
- process memorial applications within 12 weeks after a cremation
- process grave memorial permit applications within three weeks of receipt
Bereavement Services - You Said We Did
"The sound system at Lodge Hill was inadequate for people to hear"
"The vicar could have done with some sort of microphone in situ as some people had difficulty hearing the service. The committal could have done with less noise at coffin descending, overall a lovely service and well organised"
Following a number of comments raised in relation to the sound system in the chapel at Lodge Hill Crematorium a new sound system has now been installed including external speakers.
"When you exit the crematorium at Lodge Hill you go to a paved area which is dull and lifeless"
Floral displays are located in the floral tribute area and throughout the immediate vicinity more colour and interest to the area.
"Whilst walking around Handsworth Cemetery I noticed a WW2 garden, it seemed a pity for the gates etc to appear worn / neglected, worth a revamp and maybe put in some seats. Also on allotment side there seems to be a build up of litter"
Employees at Handsworth Cemetery have regenerated the WW2 garden and regularly clear the litter.
"There is not enough room for the display of floral tributes after the service and insufficient hymn books at Sutton Coldfield Crematorium"
The Floral Tribute area has been extended and additional hymn books provided
"There are not enough flower vases for families to place cut flowers in the cloisters area - Sutton Coldfield Crematorium"
Additional vases have been provided
Brandwood End Cemetery
"Members of staff were very respectful"
"Employee couldn't have been more respectful and caring"
"Very impressed that everything went ahead in the snow"
"Service is excellent"
"Staff who attended were very respectful"
"Day after funeral flowers had been thoughtfully laid on grave, this meant a lot to the family"
Kings Norton Cemetery
"Wanted to say thank you to staff at Kings Norton, they have a lovely kind attitude"
"Your service is excellent, if only other elements of Birmingham City Council provided services to your standards"
"I was very happy on both occasions; I would like to thank the staff for their hard work"
Kings Norton - Primrose Meadow, Natural Burial Glade
"As soon as you walk into Primrose Meadow you instantly feel calm - it is so tranquil"
"The employee was excellent and everything was prepared to a high standard"
"Snow and ice was cleared off the road to the plot on the site, I was very grateful, thank you"
Lodge Hill Cemetery and Crematorium
"The service and chapel met our expectations, thank you"
"Very happy with service and extremely happy with burial of ashes"
"It was a great service and send off for my mother, thank you all so much"
"Treated with sensitivity and respect by staff"
"All done professionally and thanks to you all"