Birmingham City Laboratories - Food and Environmental Analysis
The Food and Environmental Analysis section provides analysis, reports, advice and assistance in areas such as food safety, food labelling, nutritional claims, additives and contaminants, toys, heavy metals, ceramics and cosmetics. Support is also given to the Buildings Investigations section and external clients in the testing of building materials and soils.
The section provides an independent analytical and advice service in support of legislation concerning food safety, food labelling, consumer protection and contaminated land.
Our analysis is offered to a wide ranging client base including Local Authorities, Food Manufacturers, Importers, Retailers, Individuals and Multinational Companies. We also participate in the external quality control scheme: FOBS (Foreign Body Identification Scheme).
Extensive modern facilities and equipment exist for the analysis of foodstuffs, consumer safety articles and building materials. These facilities together with a team of highly qualified staff means we are able to undertake analysis and offer advice in the following areas :-
Safety and Quality of Food
- Food Composition - Compliance with standards
- Food Complaints Investigation - Foreign Bodies, Taints, Moulds, Spoilage
- Food Additives - Preservatives, Colours, Antioxidants, Sweeteners
- Food Contaminants - Pesticide Residues, Heavy Metals
Composition and Safety of Consumer Articles
- Toys BS EN 71-1;1995
- Cooking Utensils
- Pollution Identification
- Soil Testing - Waters/Leachates
- Unknown water sources
- Sulphate analysis of building materials
- Chloride analysis of concrete
- Mixed proportions and cement contents
- High alumina cements
For more information or to request our services contact:
Birmingham City Laboratories,
Birmingham B33 0TD