Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Direct payments: Keeping financial records

Keeping financial records about your direct payment

It is important that you manage your direct payments properly so that you are able to get the care you need, as shown in your support plan. Keeping financial records will help to protect you, the money you use to buy your care, and the people you pay to provide the care for you.

We suggest that you keep monthly financial records to make it easier for you to keep track of your income and spending. The Monthly Income and Spending Record will help you with this.

What records do I need to keep?

When you receive direct payments from us you will need to keep:

  • a copy of your support plan (your social care worker will give you this)
  • a bank or building society paying-in book or passbook, cheque stubs and bank statements, if these apply to you
  • the paperwork that comes with your care payments
  • bills you receive for personal help
  • petty-cash receipts if you have to make any payments in cash and
  • receipt books.

You can ask a support agency about the paperwork you will need. They are there to help you with all employment issues and will give you clear advice.

The leaflet Direct payments: Managing your financial records tells you more about what records you need to keep. You must also be prepared to share any, or all of these, with us if we ask.

The leaflet also has a sample of the Quarterly Return Declaration that you must complete every three months, if you receive direct payments regularly.

Back to Direct payments

Other pages

Who can get a direct payment?

What can I use my direct payment for?

Employing a personal assistant

Quarterly return declaration

Direct payments Factsheets

Information and support from other organisations