Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Support for adults with sight problems

If you are blind or partially sighted you can get support from our Visual Impairment Service, which has a social work team and a rehabilitation team. You do not have to be registered as blind or partially sighted to apply for these services.

Support from the social work team

The social work team can help you to get the support you need to take care of yourself. This may involve helping you to get personal care and support at home, or referring you to another service that can help you get what you need. The social work team can also help you if you are a carer of someone who is blind or partially sighted.

Support from the rehabilitation team

The rehabilitation team can support you to stay as independent as possible in your own home. We would do this by helping you relearn skills, such as cooking and shopping, that you may have lost because you are blind or partially sighted.

More information and contact details

For more information about the services we provide, please contact us by:

Registering as blind or partially sighted
This page tells you more about registering as blind or partially sighted and the allowances and benefits you may then be entitled to.

Useful contacts
Contact details for local and national organisations that offer support for people who have a visual impairment.

Related leaflets and documents