Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Services for people who are deaf or hard hearing

What services do we provide?

Previously the service for Deaf or Hearing Impaired people in Birmingham was delivered by BID Services with Deaf People. A decision was made to move this Social Work and Equipment Service into Birmingham City Council

Therefore as from 1st April 2014 our services for adults and children who are Deaf, Deafened or Hard of Hearing will be provided by our specialist Deaf and Hearing Impairment Team within Birmingham City Council. The workers all have specialist communication skills (minimum British Sign Language (BSL) level II) with two workers being native Sign Language Users. The team collectively also have the specialist skills required to meet the communication needs of individuals with Dual Sensory Loss.

The Social Work Team will undertake a comprehensive assessment of your care needs; they will assist with any support needed to manage your care needs including signposting you to any appropriate agencies. Your case will be monitored and reviewed to ensure a consistent on-going service as required.

The workers will also be able to support you if you are a carer for an individual who is Deaf or has a Hearing Impairment. 

We also have a Technical Officer who will complete a full assessment to identify any equipment that you need within your home to enable you to maximise your capabilities and independence. 

Who are the services for?

Our services are for any individual in Birmingham who is, or who cares for someone who is Deaf or has a Hearing Impairment.

How do I Contact this service?

If the individual is an adult aged 18 years and older you can contact

Deaf / Hearing Impairment Team
Birmingham City Council
23 Summer Hill Terrace
Ladywood, Birmingham B1 3RA

Telephone:     0121 675 0999
Text Phone:   18001 0121 675 0999
Fax:                0121 675 2199

If the individual is a child from birth to 17 years old you can contact the Children’s Information and Advice Service (CIAS) on 0121 303 1888.

Is there a charge?

There is a charge for some types of equipment.

There may be a contribution required towards support provided for your care needs however this is dependent on your individual circumstances. The workers will be able to advise you in regards to this.

Back to How do I get the service?

Related Pages

Services for adults with sensory impairment

Services for adults who are blind or partially sighted

Children's Services

Other websites

My Care in Birmingham which includes a directory of services from a range of organisations for people with sensory impairment

BID (Birmingham Institute for the Deaf)

Action on Hearing Loss (was Royal National Institute for Deaf People)

Advice, advocacy, support and local events for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

National Deaf Mental Health Services