Support and services for Carers
Finding help and support for carers
There are a number of organisations that offer help to carers, from daily help in your home, to respite care, to finding funding.
- The Birmingham Carers Hub will help you access a wide-range of help and support..
- Find out more about respite care and breaks for carers on our My Care in Birmingham website.
- Find a list of providers of all types and care and support, including carer breaks and respite care, on our My Care in Birmingham website.
Who is a carer?
You are a carer if you look after a friend, relative or neighbour who has a long-term disability, mental health difficulty, or is frail due to old age, and you are not paid for the care you provide.
You may be helping them with:
- personal care, such as washing, dressing or taking medication;
- practical care, such as support with shopping, cooking and cleaning; or
- emotional support if they are lonely, worried or get upset.
You do not have to live in the same house as the person you care for to be their carer.
If you are a carer, but you don’t know who to contact, you should contact the Birmingham Carers Hub.
Telephone: 0333 006 9711 (low call rate)
Birmingham Carers Hub
76-78 Boldmere Road
Application for Carers Break Grant 2016/17
Thank you for your interest in applying for the above grant.
The allocated budget for year 2016/17 has now been confirmed. This means we are open to process new applications from 1st April 2016 this financial year. Please see details below to apply.
Who is a Carer:
We define a carer as; someone of any age, who provides unpaid help to a person, without which the person they support could not manage. For example, carers may be supporting a family member, relative or friend, who is ill, frail or has a disability.
In order for a carer to apply for a grant, the person they care for must:
- Be over the age of 18 years
- Be resident within the City of Birmingham
Please download the Guidance Notes and Application Form as detailed below. Alternatively you can telephone 0121 303 4044 to request the application by post.
For any enquires please email: CarersBreakGrant@birmingham.gov.uk
If you need help to complete the form please contact the Birmingham Carers Hub: Telephone number: 0333 006 9711