Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Licensing Zoos

EUGO logo

How to Apply for a Zoo Licence
Zoos are required to be licensed under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981, and there are currently two licences issued in the City; these are at Birmingham Nature Centre and the National Sea Life Centre.

A "Zoo" is classed as any establishment, other than a circus or pet shop, where animals are kept for public exhibition. Initially, licences are granted for four years, and then are renewable every six years.

An annual inspection is undertaken by the City's Senior Animal Welfare Officer and the Act also requires that, at least twice during the term of the licence, an inspection must be carried out by an Inspector appointed for that purpose by the Secretary of State.

To apply complete the Zoo Licence Grant or Renewal application form [pdf] attached below and return the form to the Animal Welfare Team - contact details are on the application form and are also provided at the bottom of this page. The registration form must be sent to the Animal Welfare Team at the address indicated, if it is sent to the wrong address this will delay determination of the application.

Invariably it is in the interests of all new applicants to discuss their proposals with the Senior Animal Welfare Officer (see contact details below) before completing an application.

Online Applications

Online Application to change a Zoo Licence

Refer to the Environmental Health list of fees and charges to find the current charges for new or renewal licences.

It should be noted that in all cases the costs associated with the periodic inspections, carried out by an an inspector appointed by the Secretary of State, are charged to the applicant as an additional fee.

Processing Timescale
Our target for dealing with applications is 120 days.

Tacit Consent
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with your application within the target period identified then your application will have been deemed to have been granted/approved.

Tacit consent does not apply in respect of Zoo Licence applications. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

First time applications at new or purpose built premises will require planning permission before being considered. If the premises concerned do not have planning permission the target period identified for considering applications will undoubtedly be extended.

Guidance and Advice
Zoo Licensing Act 1981

Public Register
To access information on Zoos operating in the city contact the Animal Welfare Team - see contact details below.

Complaints/Enquiries - Applicants or Licence Holders
Contact the Senior Animal Welfare Officer - contact details included below.

Consumer Complaints
This will be dependent on the nature of any complaint with initial contact likely to be with the manager of the zoo/establishment concerned. matters relating to the health, safety, welfare or operational arrangements within the zoo / establishment should be referred to the Senior Animal Welfare Officer.

Changes to Registration/Licence
Once you have been licensed you need to notify us of any change(s).

Animal Welfare
Birmingham City Council
PO BOX 15908,
B2 2UD

Telephone: 0121 303 6007
Fax: 0121 303 9901
or using our Online Form.