Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Vehicles Nuisance


Please use the above form to report an incident of vehicle nuisance. Vehicle nuisance can mean illegal parking, joyriding, or unacceptable noise levels caused by vehicles.

You will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Details of incident
  • Location of incident
  • Date and time of incident
  • Details to help identify perpetrators
  • Details of any witnesses, if known
  • Details of any previous incidents.

To find out more information about illegal parking and how we deal with this, please visit our Parking Section.

If you own a car, van, caravan or other vehicle, its your responsibility to park it safely so that it does not block the road, damage your property or the environment, or cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

Council tenants should refer to Section 12 of the Conditions of Tenancy where there are full guidelines for vehicle owners.

*If a vehicle is parked on private land without authorisation / permission, this is a matter that needs to be addressed between the landowner and the owner of the vehicle.

West Midlands Police will only get involved if there is evidence to suggest that the vehicle is suspicious in any way.

Essential Information
  • It is an offence for a person, without lawful authority or excuse, to wilfully obstruct the passage along the highway. This applies to vehicles obstructing pavements and would normally be dealt with by a Fixed Penalty Notice.

  • If you believe a vehicle has been abandoned you should contact:

    Abandoned Vehicles Section
    Fleet and Waste Management
    Montague Street Depot
    B9 4BA

    You can also Report an Abandoned Vehicle Online.

    West Midlands Police can also check whether a vehicle is stolen. If you suspect that it is stolen or that items are being removed from the vehicle since it being abandoned contact them on 0345 113 5000 and report the matter to your local station.

  • If you are a council tenant please refer to the conditions of tenancy regarding vehicles. Many of your questions will be answered here.

    Large numbers of parked vehicles

    If there are an excessive number of vehicles being parked outside your home, as long as they are taxed and not contravening any parking restrictions, or causing an obstruction the owner has every right to park them there.

    Obstructions and dangerous parking

    If a vehicle is parked dangerously or causing an obstruction, for example blocking a driveway and you are unable to trace the owner of the vehicle, you should contact West Midlands Police on 0845 113 5000.

    When contacting them it is useful if you can provide the following information:

    • The vehicle registration number
    • Make / model / colour of the vehicle
    • Exact location that it is parked
    • Whether parked dangerously, for example parked on a corner / likely to cause an accident
    • Whether the vehicle is unlocked / taxed / damaged it may be stolen.

    Heavy good vehicles and caravans

    If there is a problem with HGVS being parked in your road, it should be noted that: t is an offence for a goods vehicle over 7.5 tonnes to park on the verge of a road, a central reservation or footway, unless instructed to do so by a police officer as a result of an emergency, or for unloading where there is no other place to unload and the vehicle is not left unattended at any time

    For further guidance regarding this you should contact West Midlands Police on 0845 113 5000. Alternatively the Parking Section may be able to provide further information:

    Parking Section
    PO Box 37
    B4 7DQ
    Tel: 0121 464 7474
    Email: parking@birmingham.gov.uk

  • We all know ASB when we see it. In a nutshell, it’s behaviour which causes distress or alarm to others. This covers a broad spectrum of problems but key things which define ASB include:

    • Statutory nuisance, such as fume emissions;
    • Harassment, including racial, sexual and homophobic;
    • Accidental inconsiderate behaviour;
    • Nuisance caused by animals;
    • Excessive noise (especially late at night); Nuisance caused by children of tenants, or visitors to council properties and estates;
    • Vandalism, including graffiti;
    • Drug dealing and related problems;
    • Dumping of litter or rubbish;
    • Breaches of tenancy conditions;
    • Verbal Abuse;
    • Rowdy, unruly or threatening behaviour;
    • Criminal activity or offences.
  • Under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, we have specific duties for monitoring and dealing with ASB. In response to this, we have set up the Community Safety Partnership, a specialist team that deals with ASB across the city.

    It’s always best to try to nip problem behaviour in the bud. In the first instance, so long as it’s safe, we will always advise you to speak directly with whoever is causing the problem.

    Many disputes between neighbours could be resolved just by talking to each other. Issues are often just down to a clash of lifestyles – the perpetrator(s) may not even realise that they’re causing a nuisance.

    If you’re being subjected to persistent ASB, you can report it on 0121 303 1111 and we’ll advise you what to do. We’ll then refer your complaint either to the Community Safety Partnership or the council department best placed to deal with your specific issue.

    If you’re a tenant of a registered social landlord, we may give you their contact details, if the matter is something that they have the power to deal with.

    In an emergency you should always call 999 and report the matter to the police.

Frequently Asked Questions