Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Use of Parks


Did you know you can use the Find My Local application to find parks near you or to find the name of the park that you need.

Holding Events in Parks

With more than 8,000 acres of parks and public open spaces more than any other city in the UK, Birmingham has plenty of choice when it comes to deciding where to host your community carnival, fundraising event, fun run and so on.

We are happy for people to make use of our parks for public events but you need to apply for permission and provide full details so that we can ensure that the event meets health and safety guidelines. There is a charge for using a park which covers the costs of administration and services relating to the event. Outdoor events that involve groups of people using equipment or structures such as tables, music or gazebos require permission. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate functions.

To apply for permission to use our parks or open spaces, please complete the form by pressing the Apply to use a park button above. Before completing the form check what information you may need by reading the Essential Information below and previewing the form.

Complete the questions in the application fully, ensuring every detail of your event infrastructure is included. A PDF version of the application is available below to download should you experience any problems with the online form.

It can take up to 12 weeks for an application to be processed by all parties involved, so please make sure that you apply in plenty of time. Payment if applicable must be made 4 weeks in advance of the event.

City Centre Events Only - to enquire about staging an event or promotion in our city centre spaces such as Victoria Square, Chamberlain Square or Centenary Square please contact our City Centre Management Team citycentre@birmingham.gov.uk

Essential Information
  • This is a requirement for all events, and you may be asked to produce evidence that you have Public Liability Insurance in place. Contact your insurance company to ascertain whether you will be covered for the event or refer to Guidance Note GN20 in the Guidance Notes for community events document attached below for further information.


    Community use (including charity work, friends groups and volunteers)

    (Cannon Hill Park, Handsworth Park, Kings Heath Park, Lickey Hills Country Park, Sutton Park & Eastside Park)

    Small events ( attendance up to 499)

    Commercial Per day £1700.00

    Non commercial Per day £480.00

    Major Events (attendance 500 or more)

    Commercial Per day £3400.00

    Non commercial Per day £960.00


    Small events ( attendance up to 499)

    Commercial Per day £460.00

    Non commercial Per day £150.00

    Major Events (attendance 500 or more)

    Commercial Per day £920.00

    Non commercial Per day £300.00


    Commercial Per occasion £305.00

    Non commercial Per occasion £70.00

    Charity Events - 50% reduction in above fees for NON COMMERICAL

    Customers will be invoiced when their application is approved and will need to pay prior to the event.

    A separate invoice for recharges will be made to any event organiser where costs are incurred by Parks e.g. to reinstate grounds or clear litter following the event.

  • You will be required to apply for a license if your event contains music, dance or alcohol. More information can be found at Alcohol & Entertainment or licensing can be reached on 0121 303 9896.

  • To assist you with the safe planning of your event various documents are attached to read.

    There is a comprehensive handbook Outdoor Entertainment Events Guide for Event Organisers, which has been developed in partnership with the West Midlands Police, Ambulance and Fire Service.

    Also a selection of Event Safety (ES) and Guidance Notes (GN) are provided in the Guidance Notes for community events document below. These notes cover the health and safety requirements, in particular the legal responsibilities on you as the Event Organiser.

  • Event Logistics Depot has supplied equipment and staffing to events for over 30 years. Generators, crowd barriers, market stalls, picnic benches, PA systems, mobile stage blocks, waste bins, and more can be hired for your event. Phone 0121 464 0256 or email Irene.j.jones@birmingham.gov.uk for further information.

  • Permission to hold your event must be obtained from Birmingham City Council. You can apply for permission by completing the form by pressing the Apply to use a park button above. No matter how small your event you should submit your application at least 12 weeks before the event is planned to take place to ensure it meets health and safety requirements, and appropriate licenses are in place. Applications received without this required notice period will not be considered.

  • Kings Heath Park
    Vicarage Road
    Kings Heath
    B14 7TQ

Frequently Asked Questions
    • You may be considering helping out with conservation activities at your local park or green open space on an ad-hoc voluntary basis as a member of a recognised organisation.

      Your group will need to complete the form by pressing the Apply to use a park button above. Your application can be made for a blanket 12 months from each January to December (if you apply part way through the year your approval will only be valid upto and including 31 December when you will need to re-apply the following January, and so on).

      There are also opportunities to volunteer for conservation activities alongside the Birmingham Parks Ranger Service. Your group does not need to complete a Parks Events Application if your activity is supervised by a Parks Officer.

    • If you are considering a sponsored walk, run or even a sponsored push you are welcome to use our Walk 2000 2km routes already marked out in many of our parks and green open spaces. Routes are marked with a combination of wooden sign posts and green footprints on the ground.

    • Our Sports Events team provide advice and support with your event preparation, for further details phone 0121 303 3008 or email bev.parris@birmingham.gov.uk.

      If you intend to host a football, cricket or bowling tournament, or similar which does not include any other event activities or equipment such as a bouncy castle, music, etc., please contact our Sports team to ascertain the availability of pitches for hire, email lynn.kavanagh@birmingham.gov.uk or phone 0121 464 6024. You do not need to complete a Parks Events Application in this instance.

    • Each year certain sites within the city are designated as sites suitable for funfair and circus operators to hold these events on a stand alone basis.

      You may wish to incorporate a funfair with adult rides into your event as an added attraction. Financial support towards your event is possible from the funfair operator, under agreement of certain 'Conditions of Subsidy'. This is a process of validation that safeguards the interests of event organisers, funfair operators, and the council. For further guidance email Parks with your enquiry using Contact Us.

    • Yes, contact FILM Birmingham; the one-stop shop for film and television production requests. Email sindy.campbell@birmingham.gov.uk, or phone 0121 464 9305. For further information visit their website www.filmbirmingham.co.uk

      You are welcome to use our parks or green open spaces as backdrops for your wedding photographs and/or film recordings of your Wedding day for personal use only, with prior permission from us. Use service specific Parks form to make your request providing dates, times and the name of the site where you want to take your photographs. There is a charge of £300 for commercial photographs and £70 for non-commercial photographs.

    • It is at the discretion of the council whether any organisation or individual is permitted to hold a car boot sale for charitable or fundraising purposes. Commercial car boot sales are not permitted on council parkland or green open space.
      You are required to complete 2 applications, a Use of Parks form by pressing the Apply to use a park button above and a Car Boot Sale Application.

    • Barbecues are not permitted in public parks or green open spaces unless they form part of an event and are supplied and operated by a professional certified company.

    • Fourteen of our parks have angling facilities. All sites have an annual Close Season from 15 March to 15 June inclusive except Fox Hollies Park, Pype Hayes Park, Salford Park and Shenley Pool.

      If you wish to host an angling competition, please complete a Use of Parks form by pressing the Apply to use a park button above to obtain permission from BCC. You will be charged a fee per peg required. For further information about angling in Birmingham parks click on this link Angling in Birmingham.

    • We would ask you to be mindful of the implications of balloon releases on wildlife and the environment and to consider alternatives where possible. Further guidance is available in the attached document 'Balloon Releases'.

    • Guidance is available in the attached document Guidance Notes for community events. Our Events Team have been organising major outdoor events safely for the past 30 years. For expert advice and guidance with your event planning you may wish to contact our Events Team on 0121 303 3008 or email joan.durose@birmingham.gov.uk. It is advisable not to advertise your event until you have gained written confirmation from us that your event is approved.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry
External Links
We are not responsible for the content of other organisations' websites