Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Unauthorised Encampment on Council Land


We are responsible for dealing with unauthorised encampments on council land in Birmingham. If the encampment is on privately owned land, it is the responsibility of the owner to arrange re-possession of the land.

If you are experiencing problems with an unauthorised encampment, you can report this by pressing the 'Report an Unauthorised Encampment' button above to report the issue. Please provide as much detail as you can in order for us to deal with your query effectively.

Please note: we will take every effort to ensure your identity is not revealed when reporting such an issue.

Essential Information
  • There is no additional information
Frequently Asked Questions
    • This is dependant on the legal route taken by the land owner. There are normally two routes that can be taken. These are:

      • Serving a Common Law Notice which allows those involved to remain for a period of 7 days on the land, after which they are evicted by bailiffs.
      • Through the courts using Part 55 of the Civil Procedure Rules. This process can take up to two weeks to implement but does offer protection to the land against re-occurrence which Common Law does not.

    • The Unauthorised Encampments Team within the Environmental Protection Unit of Regulatory Services are responsible for dealing with unauthorised encampments in the city of Birmingham. Where there is an illegal occupation of council owned land, the team will carry out eviction as detailed in the guidance ‘Managing Unauthorised Encampments’, a joint policy of Birmingham City Council and West Midlands Police. Where there is an illegal occupation of privately owned sites, it is the responsibility of the land owner to arrange for repossession of the land through the courts. We are able to offer advice and support to land owners during this process. For assistance please complete a service specific enquiry form and an officer will be in contact to offer advice.

    • Yes. We have a policy drawn up with the West Midland Police. This sets out the action that will be taken by each organisation in relation to unauthorised encampments in Birmingham.This includes direct action by the Police where appropriate and also action to evict where trespass occurs on council owned land.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry