Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Birmingham Register Office - Tell Us Once


Tell Us Once is a free and simple service which can securely pass information about a death directly onto a range of public sector organisations.

When someone dies, there can often be a number of government departments and agencies to notify. For example, a passport or driving licence may need to be cancelled, or Council Tax benefit stopped.

The Tell Us Once service is designed to make things simpler for you, by helping you give this information to government and local authority services only once.

Once you have registered a death you will be offered the Tell Us Once Service. The Registrar will provide you with a unique reference number which you can use to access the service in one of two ways -

On Line


By Telephone

Call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am - 6.00pm
Calls are free from a landline but mobile phone operators may charge you for the service
Calls can also be made from a Birmingham City Council Service Centre, where staff will also be able to help with

  • assistance with income maximisation, access to welfare benefits or single person council tax discount.
  • advice and guidance on accessing bereavement benefits
  • signposting to other services such as CRUSE Bereavement Care

Essential Information

Registering a death

Register Office Location and Opening Hours

Frequently Asked Questions

What does Tell Us Once cover?
The Tell Us Once service will securely pass information onto a range of partner organisations, including:

Council Services:
- Council Tax Payments
- Council Tax Benefits
- Council Housing
- Housing Benefits
- Libraries
- Blue Badges
- Adult Social Care
- Children's Services
- Collection of payments for Council Services
- Electoral services

Identity and Passport Service:
- Passport Cancellation.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency:
- Driving Licence Cancellation.

Department for Work and Pensions:
- Pension, Disability and Carers Service
- Jobcentre Plus
- Overseas Health Team

Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency:
- War Pensions Scheme

HM Revenue and Customs:
- Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
- Personal Taxation