Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



New Works


New Works

This page is not for repairs or maintenance to existing structures. If you wish to report a repair, please select the appropriate link from the sidebar to the right of this page.

We will look at any requests for new works on or related to roads and pavements which may address any problems encountered by road users or pedestrians.

New Works fall into the following broad categories. See the FAQ’s below for more information.

  • Street Furniture
  • Improved Street Lighting
  • Parking
  • Roads
  • Footpaths

Essential Information
  • The city's entire stock of street lights will be undergoing an upgrade over the next five years to improve the standard of street lighting throughout Birmingham. If you are requesting improvements to existing street lighting, please bear in mind that it may already be scheduled for improvement.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Street Furniture includes:-

      • Guard/Trip rails:- these are low –level railings, most often placed around verges or grassy areas
      • No ball game Signs:- these are metal signs which remind the public that the playing of ball games on the public highway is against the law. They are usually placed in response to complaints about disturbance caused by the playing of such games.
      • Public Seats/benches:- any seating placed in a public area.
      • Street name Plates:- the signs placed at the ends of a street indicating the street name and post code. These are either placed on a wall or are free-standing.
      • Grit Bins: large plastic bins placed along the road side for the storage of the salt used for gritting roads and pavements in winter.

    • This is a request for improvement to the existing levels of street lighting.

    • Parking-New Works relates to the following two types of parking issues:-

      • Disabled bay marking:- Use this to record requests for a disabled parking bay to be painted on the road.
      • Parking issues:- Use this to record enquiries about parking issues in a particular area. This should not be used where the issues relate to penalty charge notices (parking tickets) issued for illegal parking, which should be referred to Highways.

    • The following types of requests for New Works relate to roads:-

      • Road markings
      • Local Traffic congestion
      • Traffic signals
      • Traffic signs

    • The following types of requests for New Works relate to footpaths:-

      • Requests for disabled access involving dropped kerbs at the edge of the footway where it meets the road.
      • Requests for Footpath realignment involving a change to the boundaries or route of a footpath.
      • Requests for any kind of pedestrian crossing across the highway.

      • Disabled bay markings are painted markings on the road which reserve a particular parking bay for use by the disabled.
      • Constituency Engineers deal with a variety of local parking issues with the exception of those which relate to illegal parking or parking fines.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry