Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Rent Enquiries


You can now manage all of your rent and other housing accounts in one place by registering for an individual online account.Please note, to have access to these options, you must upgrade your account through a short verification process.

If you open and upgrade an online account with us you will be able to:

  • Manage and view your rent and other housing accounts
  • View your housing benefit payments
  • View and print your account statements
  • Set up and manage Direct Debits
  • Make one payment for your rent and other accounts
  • Request an account refund
  • Opt out of receiving paper statements.
Essential Information
  • By managing your rent and other housing accounts online you'll be helping us to reduce costs. This means we can spend more of your money on maintaining and improving council homes.

    You can now use your housing account overview to make a single payment across several housing accounts. For example one payment can be split between your rent, a housing benefit overpayment or Careline alarm account. If your rent account is in debt you should aim to clear this first. Failure to keep up to date with your payments could put your home at risk.

    If you have applied for housing benefit it will only show up on your account once it has been approved and payment has been made.

    If you opt out of receiving paper statements, you must still check your rent account at least once every 13 weeks to make sure your account is up to date.

    If your account is in debt you will still continue to receive paper statements as this is a legal requirement.

  • If one of your housing accounts is in credit you can request a refund from us, however the minimum amount that can be refunded is £1. You can do this online if you have an online account with us.

    We will pay your refund straight into your bank account. However if you do not have an account, you can provide us with the name of the person you would like the cheque payable to or we can send you a cheque which can only be cashed at our cash office. You will need to bring one of the following forms of ID with you.

    • Driving Licence
    • Passport
    • Over 60s bus pass
    • National Insurance ID card
    • Student ID card
    • Council employee ID pass
    • Police Warrant card
    • Birmingham private hire card

    The address of our cash office is:

    Cash Office
    2nd Floor Manor House
    40 Moat Lane
    B5 5BD

    The opening hours are: Monday – Friday 8.45am – 4.15pm

  • Council rents and service charges are reviewed annually and any changes will now be applied in April and not October.

    We will give you four weeks notice of any rent change. All details relating to the annual rent review will be in the rent notification letter you receive from Birmingham City Council.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • All our tenants have been sent a new payment calendar when their rent increased in October. There is a copy of this at the bottom of the page that you can download for your own use.

    • Yes, there is a useful guide at the bottom of the page that you can download. It explains exactly what each part of your statement means.

    • Because you owe a debt to the City Council and failure to pay the debt could result in your account being passed to a Debt Collection Agency.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need, then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry - Rents