Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Documents Needed for Claims

When you make a claim, you need to have the following information available:

Details of your and your partner’s (if you have one) income, including any benefit you get

Proof of benefits includes:

  • benefit award letters
  • pension award letters
  • current bank statements showing the payment having been received
  • court award letter in respect of maintenance

Proof of earnings includes:

  • five consecutive weekly wage slips, or three consecutive fortnightly wage slips or two consecutive monthly wage slips
  • if you cannot provide wage slips, we will accept a letter from your employer, on their headed notepaper, giving your full income details
  • if you are self-employed, we will accept a copy of your most recent accounts. If these aren’t available, you can complete a self-employed claim form. attached document Self Employed Form  

Details of any savings over £6,000 (£10,000 if you are a pensioner)

Proof of savings includes:

  • bank or building society account statements for the previous two months
  • share certificates
  • premium bonds
  • savings certificates
  • ISAs

If you are working, your employer’s name and address

National insurance numbers for you and your partner, if you have one

You can find this information on:

  • wage slips
  • P45s and P60s
  • letters from the Department for Works and Pensions
  • National Insurance card

Names, dates of birth and details of income/savings for anyone over 18 who lives with you, other than your partner

  • we don’t need this if you or your partner, if you have one, is registered blind, or in receipt of Attendance Allowance, DLA care component or the PIP equivalent

Proof of residency and rent

This information should be on your tenancy agreement, rent book, rent statement or rental agreement

  • your tenancy start date
  • the amount you pay in rent
  • the amount of bedrooms your home has
  • your landlord’s name and address
  • your bank account details, if you are a private tenant

Once you have made your claim online, you will need to provide us with evidence of the information you have given online, within one month of making the claim. We need to see original documents, we cannot accept photocopies.

  • if you make a new claim and don’t provide your original documents within one month, we will close down your claim and write to you.
  • if you report a change of circumstances and don’t provide your original documents within one month, we will suspend your claim and stop making payments.

In either case, if you provide the necessary original documents within one month of your claim being closed down/suspended, we may be able to reassess the claim (as a continuous claim if a change of circumstances).

If, however, you do not provide the necessary original documents within one month of your claim being closed down/suspended, we will cancel the claim completely and write to tell you. If this happens, you will need to start the process again, and make a new claim, providing all the necessary proofs. You may ask us to consider  backdating your claim if you have a good reason.

You can post your original documents to:

Birmingham City Council
Revenues and Benefits
PO Box 8267
B4 7XF

Most documents will be returned to you by second class post, but those such as passports, driving licences, marriage or birth certificates, etc, will be sent by recorded delivery.

Alternatively, you can take your documents to one of the following Customer Service Centres (formerly Neighbourhood Offices) who operate a “sit and wait” service for this process – you will need to wait until someone is available to see you.

  • Erdington Customer Service Centre - 67 Sutton New Road, B23 6QT (Tuesday and Thursday only)
  • Newtown Customer Service Centre - New Aston House, B19 2SW
  • Northfield Customer Service Centre - 1a Vineyard Road, B31 1PG
  • Quinton Customer Service Centre - Four Dwellings Site, B32 1PJ (Monday to Thursday 9am to 1pm only)
  • Saltley Customer Service Centre - 54 Highfield Road, B8 3QU
  • Sparkbrook Customer Service Centre - Sparkbrook Community and Health Centre, B11 1LU

If you don’t have all the information available, you should still make the claim. You can provide the other information at a later date.