More than 30,000 households in Birmingham rent their homes from a private landlord or agent. Young people often move into privately rented accommodation when they first leave home and, with many people moving around to find work, private renting is a good solution.
The private rented sector ranges from direct access hostels for homeless people to luxury city centre apartments. The standard of accommodation and the way it’s managed varies.
The council is working with landlords, agents and tenants to encourage responsible renting, promote a positive image of private renting and to support good practice.
We provide information and advice to tenants on a variety of subjects including:
- Threat of eviction
- Harassment from your landlord
- Notice to Quit
- Repairs to rented property
- Rent and other charges
- Types of tenancy agreements
- Housing benefit
- Landlord responsibilities
- Ending a tenancy
If your enquiry relates to a private rented disrepair issue or require landlord or tenant advice we require the following information:-
- your name
- your address
- your phone number
- your email address
- number and ages of occupants
- name of the landlord
- address of the landlord
- phone number of the landlord
- email address of the landlord
- description of the property e.g. number of bedrooms
- date your tenancy began
- types of disrepair issues and their location e.g. mould growth in the bathroom
- landlord advice
- tenant advice
- have you contacted your landlord?
Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Birmingham City Council is consulting on proposals to extend the licensing of privately rented homes, including Homes in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). To find out more and give your views, please read the Cabinet Member report attached below and visit www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/place/initial-consultation-hmo-licensing.
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Association of Residential Letting Agents
- Consumer Credit Counselling Service
- National Debtline
- Community Legal Advice
- Her Majesty’s Court Service
- Home Stamp
- Citizen’s Advice Bureau: Debt Advice
- Homestamp fire and security protection standards
- Gas Safe Register