Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Amendments to plans or applications


Sometimes development proposals change, either while we are still considering a planning application or after it has been decided.

If you have an amendment to a site specific scheme, please submit this to us in writing along with plans showing the amendments. We can then advise you which of the processes outlined below will be needed.

Essential Information
  • The applicant can change the plans or other documents submitted with their planning application. This can happen if the applicant wants to change the proposals being considered.

    We might require an amendment in order to comply with our planning policies, or to overcome a planning objection from a neighbouring property. Sometimes if a requested amendment is not made, an application may be refused.

  • Applicants may want to change the proposals after they have received planning permission. Depending on the extent of the changes, this may result in one of three processes:

    • Substantial changes – may need a new planning application, for example an increase in floor area or number of dwellings;
    • Significant changes – may need a new application (known as a material minor amendment), for example elevational changes to a commercial building; or
    • Minor changes – may be dealt with by a shortened application process (known as a non-material minor amendment – formal form and plans are required, but not the supporting documentation), for example moving a window on a domestic extension. This process should take about 28 days as we do not re-consult neighbouring properties.

    Forms for all of these processes are available on the Planning Portal, where you can also submit the application online.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry
External Links
We are not responsible for the content of other organisations' websites