Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Housing Repairs

New Repairs Contracts - from 1 April 2016

Map showing areas covered by new contractors

We have appointed three contractors to carry out repairs, maintenance, gas servicing and improvement works to Birmingham's council homes from 1 April 2016.

The city has been divided into four areas and each contractor is responsible for carrying out all elements of the new service, delivering value for money and high levels of customer satisfaction.

  • The North contract area will be delivered by Keepmoat Regeneration Limited
  • The West-Central contract area will be delivered by Wates Living Space
  • The East contract area will be delivered by Wates Living Space
  • The South contract area will be delivered by Willmott Dixon Partnerships Limited

Who is my new contractor?

Follow the link and enter your postcode to find out who your new repairs contractor is.

Online repair reporting function

  • Due to system changes you are now unable to select an appointment time when requesting a new repair. Please complete details of your repair on the form and we will contact you to arrange a convenient appointment.
  • For emergency or urgent repairs please ring 0800 073 33 33.

Welcome to Housing Repairs Self Service Appointments
...a quick and easy way to diagnose repairs…

You need a Birmingham City Council online account to report repairs. If you do not have one, click register to set one up.

Once you have an account you will be able to report repairs online to obtain an appointment and make enquiries about repairs you have already reported, via the blue options at the top of this screen.

Emergency and Urgent repairs

Emergency and Urgent repairs (i.e. need attention within 24 hours) or communal and equity share properties cannot be reported online. They must be reported to the contact centre. The numbers are:

  • 0800 073 3333
  • 0121 675 8221 – textphone for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

For everything else, click on the appropriate blue option at the top of the page.

Birmingham City Council reserves the right to charge for any repairs if it is felt the repair was caused through deliberate damage or neglect. Full details of repairs tenants are responsible for can be found in the Conditions of Tenancy and the Tenants Handbook.

If you live in an area controlled by a TMO (Tenant Management Organisation) and you wish to report a repair in the first instance you should speak to the representative from the tenant management organisation. They will advise you on the best course of action to take in order to resolve the issue.

Essential Information
  • Birmingham has three repairs contractors: Keepmoat, Wates and Wilmott Dixon.
    Wilmott Dixon provides repair services to council homes in the south, Keepmoat in the north, while Wates cover the east, west and central areas. The list below shows which areas are covered by each contractor. If you are not sure which is the repairs contractor for your home, look in your Tenants Handbook or contact your local Housing Team.

    Keepmoat cover the following wards in the North:

    Stockland Green
    Sutton Four Oaks
    Sutton New Hall
    Sutton Vesey
    Sutton Trinity

    Wates cover the following wards:

    Acocks Green
    Bordesley Green
    Hall Green
    Handsworth Wood
    Hodge Hill
    Lozells and East Handsworth
    Moseley and Kings Heath
    Perry Barr
    Shard End
    South Yardley
    Stechford and Yardley North
    Washwood Heath

    Willmott Dixon cover the following following wards in the South:

    Bartley Green
    Kings Norton
    Selly Oak

  • If you smell gas the first thing you should do is contact the National Gas emergency service on 0800 111 999. They will ask a number of questions to ascertain the severity of the leak and will provide some gas safety advice. They will also, if required, arrange for an engineer to attend the property.

    In all cases you should also phone the contact centre on 0800 073 3333 after you have called the number above as our gas contractor will meet Transco on site.

    If you are having problems with gas appliances provided by the council, i.e. central heating hot water systems, then in the first instance you should contact the repairs contact centre on the number below, who will diagnose the issue and arrange an engineer to attend (if appropriate) to resolve the issue. If it is found the issue has been caused by appliances installed by yourself, charges for this call out could apply.

    Telephone: 0800 073 3333 or textphone 0121 675 8221 (for people who are deaf or hard of hearing).

    Every year we service all the gas appliances in all our homes, find out more about gas servicing.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Under the Government's Right to Repair regulations, you have the right to have certain repairs done within set time limits. They are called 'qualifying' repairs, and include:

      • Unsafe electrical fittings
      • a blocked sink, bath, basin or toilet
      • a leaking roof or water system, and
      • broken banisters or handrails.

      If the councils repair contractor is unable to complete a qualifying repair within the correct time, you have the right to ask us to get another approved repairs contractor to do the work.

    • We will repair and maintain the structure of the property you live in and the outside of the building (including the roof, drains, gutters and pipes).

      In blocks of flats and maisonettes, we are responsible for:

      • Entrance doors
      • halls
      • stairways
      • lifts
      • rubbish chutes
      • lighting, and
      • other things that are shared by all the tenants and leaseholders.

      For tenants, our responsibilities also include:

      • Any inside fixtures and fittings that we originally provided, as explained in the conditions of tenancy
      • all pipes, wiring, heating systems, drainage, power and light fittings

      In tenants' gardens, we will look after:

      • Boundary fences or walls we provide (we may remove them rather than repair them)
      • any outbuildings, sheds, porches, or garages we originally put up (we may remove them rather than repair them)
      • any step or path that is an essential means of access to the property
    • This is explained in detail in the Conditions of Tenancy booklet, in the Tenants Handbook. The following is only a summary and not an exhaustive list:

      General responsibilities

      • Keep your property clean and in good decorative order inside.
      • Prevent waste pipes (from sinks, baths or toilets) or drains becoming blocked.
      • Allow our repairs partners into your home to carry out repairs, annual safety checks and any necessary inspections.
      • Repair and maintain any fixture, fitting or appliance you have provided, including washing machines, dishwashers and tumble driers.
      • Prevent and control condensation.
      • Prevent pipes from freezing or bursting by using any heating system provided and by lagging pipes.
      • Make sure that no-one who lives in or visits your home causes any damage.

      Specific responsibilities

      • Replace broken glass in windows and doors, unless you can prove that the cause of the damage was outside of your control and provide a crime reference.
      • Replace keys, fobs or locks for doors or windows if your keys are lost or stolen, or you get locked out.
      • Try to clear any blockages in basins, sinks, baths, toilets and drains.
      • Reset trip switches and replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes or starters and plug fuses.
      • Repairing, replacing and renewing TV aerials (except communal aerials).
      • Putting up CB aerials and satellite dishes (only with our permission).
    • If damage is caused by you or anyone in your home (including visitors or children) you will be expected to arrange and pay for any necessary repairs. If however, the repairs involve gas, electricity, water or security, we will have to carry them out for safety reasons. We will charge you a reasonable price for the work.

    • By law, Birmingham City Council must have all gas appliances and flues in council properties checked annually, except for gas appliances which you are entitled to have moved/installed by an installer registered on the gas safe register (such as if you have your own cooker). This annual gas service is free.

      We will contact you every year to make an appointment for an engineer to carry out the check.

    • If damage is caused by a break-in, vandalism or other criminal damage, we will carry out work to make your home safe. We can only do further work if you give us a police crime reference number (not a log number). If you can’t provide a crime reference number, we will charge you a reasonable cost for any urgent work we do. We will only do non-urgent work if you pay in advance.

    • Our repair contractors will do all they can to make sure that repairs are carried out satisfactorily. However, if the repairs either fail or exceed your expectations, please let them know.

      You can also register your complaint or compliment by filling in the online form or contact the following numbers

      0800 073 3333 - free from a landline or mobile

      0121 675 8221 - textphone for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

    • If you feel your personal belongings have been damaged you can make a claim for compensation. For the claim to be considered valid it has to be received within 28 days of the damage taking place or from the time you noticed it.

      Once submitted, we will investigate your compensation claim. It will be dealt with by the relevant department:

    • Yes, you have the right to make your own improvements such as installing a new bathroom or kitchen.

      Before you start, however, you must tell the council what you are planning to do and get our written permission. We will only say no if there is a good reason, for example, if the work would make your home unsafe. Your Local Housing Team can tell you how to get this permission.

      Any work you have done must be carried out by a competent and suitably experienced person. If the property is damaged by the work, we will ask you to put things right. If we have to put things right we will charge you.

    • Yes, you have the right to make alterations to the inside of your home, as long as you don’t remove structural walls or windows or cause damage to the outside or shared parts of the building.

      You must not make alterations to the structure of the building, including windows, without written consent from the leasehold team on any of the numbers listed below. Please be aware that it may take some time for consent to be given, depending on the terms of your lease. You can contact the leasehold team on 0121 303 2147 and 0121 303 2148.

    • The precise details of repair responsibilities for your building are set out in your lease.

      Leaseholders are responsible for:

      • All internal parts of the home including non-structural walls and partitions.
      • Fixtures and fittings within the homes unless they specifically belong to the council, for example an entry phone system.
      • Cables, pipes and drains within the home or that serve it exclusively, for example a water tank.
      • Glazing and external doors, locks or fasteners. (please refer to FAQ As a leaseholder what repairs are the council responsible for?)
      • Internal decoration, including plaster and finishes to walls, ceilings or floors.
      • Ceilings, but not joists or beams.
      • Accidental damage, for example breaking a wash hand basin.

      Some of these items may be covered by your household insurance, or our insurance of the building.

      For further information please contact the leasehold team on any of the below numbers.

      0121 675 6718
      0121 303 2147
      0121 303 2148

    • The following is a list of repairs the council are responsible for:

      • All communal repairs (repairs to shared areas and the structure of the building)
      • Blocked balcony drain
      • Soil and Vent pipe in flat including stub branches to WC (the fitting connecting the toilet to the soil pipe branch is the leaseholder responsibility)
      • Main supply pipe for gas going into the meter including gas isolation value, anything beyond this isolation is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Sub-Main to the electricity distribution board going into the meter, anything beyond this point is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Supply pipes from the gas/electric meters is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Rising water main to stop tap (including stop tap) anything beyond this isolation is the leaseholder responsibility
      • Door entry phones in flats
      • Window frames, including balcony doors are the Council's responsibility - unless the Leaseholder has entered into a Deed of Variation and thereby taken on responsibility themselves.
      • TV sockets in flats connected to the communal TV aerial (supplied/installed by the council)
      • Heat Lease storage heaters where the leaseholder still has a lease agreement with the council
      • Water leaks from above

      NOTE: Gas/Electric meters are service supplier responsibility

      Additional repairs that may be council responsibility:

      Fencing will be as allocated in accordance with the lease agreement

      • For house conversions the above will apply including:
        • Chimney stacks and flues
        • Cellars, roof spaces and lofts generally these will remain the council responsibility

      For further information, advice and clarification please contact the leasehold team on any of the numbers below:

      0121 675 6718
      0121 303 2147
      0121 303 2148

      For repairs you as a leaseholder are responsible for please refer to FAQ - As a leaseholder what repairs am I responsible for?

      The precise details of repair responsibilities for your building are set out in your lease.

    • We will send a reminder when the gas service is due and provide you with a date this will take place. If it has been over 12 months since the last service was carried out then contact to arrange the inspection from the link below.

      Gas Servicing
    • At present these repairs would need to be reported by phoning the contact centre. Contact details can be found in the Contacts section above. Once reported the repair partners will attend and resolve the issue. Further information regarding what the council are responsible for can be found in the above FAQ 'What repairs are the council responsible for?'

    • If you can smell gas you should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 and then phone the housing repairs contact centre on 0800 073 3333.

    • Birmingham city council aims to provide homes that are clean, safe and ready to move into. We have an Empty Property Repairs Standard and our repairs contractors work to this standard to make sure homes are fit to live in.

      If you are not happy with the standard of accommodation you should contact your local Housing Office who will look into any issues raised.

    • As part of our Empty Property Repair Standard, we will ensure that floors, cupboards and wash surfaces are clean. There should also be air fresheners in the kitchen, bathroom and living areas.

    • When you move into your property, we guarantee there will be a gas or electric cooker point in the kitchen. If the property already has a gas cooker point, we cannot fit an electric cooker point for you. The viewing officer will advise you of the cooker point facilities available when you are shown the property.

Website feedback

What do you think of this page?