Museums and Galleries
Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is part of a remarkable extended family, including Thinktank Science Museum. In other parts of the city are six more museums, showcasing everything from the city’s thriving jewellery heritage to its stately Jacobean past.
- Aston Hall is one of England’s finest Jacobean mansion houses. Aston Hall still bears the scars of the English Civil War and is surrounded by 50-acres of beautiful parks and gardens.
- Blakesley Hall is a beautiful 16th-century timber-framed house at Blakesley – one of just a few of its kind remaining in Birmingham. The house is set in picturesque gardens full of wildlife.
- Museum of the Jewellery Quarter is the perfectly-preserved Smith & Pepper jewellery factory.
- Sarehole Mill is one of only two surviving watermills in Birmingham.
- Soho House was the home of Matthew Boulton, one of the fathers of the industrial revolution. Here he met with the greatest minds of the 18th-century and founded his manufacturing empire.
- Weoley Castle is the 700-year-old ruins of a medieval moated house.
Visit the Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery website for details of exhibitions, events and activities.
Here are a selection of other museums and art galleries in and around Birmingham:
- Birmingham and Midland Museum Of Motor Transport showcases the evolution of bus manufacturing and operating industries. It houses one of the most significant collections of preserved buses and restored battery electric vehicles in the country.
- Cadbury World is a visitor centre where you can discover the history, making and magic of Cadbury confectionery, and see a demonstration of chocolate making skills.
- Ikon Gallery features temporary exhibitions showing work by artists from around the world. A variety of media is represented, including sound, film, mixed media, photography, painting, sculpture and installation
- National Motorcycle Museum is recognised as the finest and largest British motorcycle museum in the world. The Museum collection now boasts some 1000 plus machines, fully restored to the manufacturers original specifications with over 850 on display at any one time.
- Pen Room contains an amazing collection of over 5,000 objects related to the Birmingham Steel pen trades and the history of writing. The collections include items of factory machinery plus other hands-on objects.
More information about attractions in and around Birmingham is available at http://visitbirmingham.com/