Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
In Year School Admissions
The normal intake for school admissions relates to children moving from Primary to Secondary School, starting Reception Class or moving to Year 3 at a Junior School.
If you wish to apply for a school place after the normal intake in September, or for a place in any other year group, then you must apply using our ‘Application for a Change of School In Year’ Form.
Parents / carers can apply for any School or Academy in Birmingham.
In-Year admissions arise as a result of:
- Parents / carers moving into Birmingham and do not have a school place for their child.
- Parents / carers moving within Birmingham and their child already have a school place, but can no longer attend.
- Parents / carers who live in Birmingham and are not moving, but would like their child to change school.
Your application will give you the opportunity:
- To express your preferred school in Birmingham.
- Give reasons for your application.
Your application will result in one of following:
- If the school you request has available places, your child will be offered a place at that school.
- If the school you request has more applications than there are places available the governing body or the local authority uses the school’s admission criteria to decide who qualifies best for a place.
- If the school you request is already over subscribed your child is placed on a waiting list and offered a place at the nearest available school which has a vacancy. You are also be informed of your right to appeal.
Schools outside Birmingham
If you wish to apply for an in-year school place at a school or academy in another local authority, you should contact that authority to establish how they deal with in-year applications.
The following oversubscription criteria will be used for external applicants at community schools when there are more applications than places available:
- Looked after child (in public care).
- Where the child has a brother or sister currently attending the school.
- Proximity of the child’s home address to the school, with those living nearest in a straight line measurement given priority.
Please see individual academy, foundation, grammar and voluntary aided schools for their Year 12 entry requirements.
Please note, entry to Year 12 is not dependent upon attendance or behaviour records. Applicants refused a place in Year 12 are entitled to appeal to an independent appeal panel.