Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



In Year School Admissions


The normal intake for school admissions relates to children moving from Primary to Secondary School, starting Reception Class or moving to Year 3 at a Junior School.

If you wish to apply for a school place after the normal intake in September, or for a place in any other year group, then you must apply using our ‘Application for a Change of School In Year’ Form.

Parents / carers can apply for any School or Academy in Birmingham.

In-Year admissions arise as a result of:

  • Parents / carers moving into Birmingham and do not have a school place for their child.
  • Parents / carers moving within Birmingham and their child already have a school place, but can no longer attend.
  • Parents / carers who live in Birmingham and are not moving, but would like their child to change school.

Your application will give you the opportunity:

  • To express your preferred school in Birmingham.
  • Give reasons for your application.

Your application will result in one of following:

  • If the school you request has available places, your child will be offered a place at that school.
  • If the school you request has more applications than there are places available the governing body or the local authority uses the school’s admission criteria to decide who qualifies best for a place.
  • If the school you request is already over subscribed your child is placed on a waiting list and offered a place at the nearest available school which has a vacancy. You are also be informed of your right to appeal.

Schools outside Birmingham

If you wish to apply for an in-year school place at a school or academy in another local authority, you should contact that authority to establish how they deal with in-year applications.

The following oversubscription criteria will be used for external applicants at community schools when there are more applications than places available:

  • Looked after child (in public care).
  • Where the child has a brother or sister currently attending the school.
  • Proximity of the child’s home address to the school, with those living nearest in a straight line measurement given priority.

Please see individual academy, foundation, grammar and voluntary aided schools for their Year 12 entry requirements.

Please note, entry to Year 12 is not dependent upon attendance or behaviour records. Applicants refused a place in Year 12 are entitled to appeal to an independent appeal panel.

Essential Information
    • The Application for a Change of School In Year Form should only be completed for a school place outside of the normal year of entry (ie: after children start primary school or move from primary to secondary school).

      Please complete ALL sections of the Application for a Change of School In Year Form. The school will be unable to process incomplete forms, which leads to further delay in offering your child a school place.

      • Clearly write your child’s name, date of birth, year group and gender.
      • The address you state on the form should be your child’s only or main residence. The school can only use one address. All parents / carers are required to provide proof of address with their form.
      • Include the details of any older or younger siblings in attendance at any of the schools you are applying for.
      • If there are any particular reasons why you prefer a school, write these in the ‘Reasons for preference’ box.
      • Let us know the name and address of your child’s current school and if they still regularly attend. If not, let us know the date they last attended or the date they left their last school.
      • If your child is a Looked After Child or has been previously looked after (in care), please state the name of the local authority, and the name and telephone number of the Social Worker.
      • If your child has ever been temporarily or permanently excluded from any school or had difficulties, please indicate this on your application. This information will help us to ensure the correct support is available for your child at his / her new school.
      • If there are any other agencies involved with your child such as Education Welfare Service, Connexions, Youth Offending Service etc, then provide the details and the names of any contacts.
      • You need to ensure the Headteacher of your child's current or most recent school completes the Declaration on section 2 of the form.
      • If any of your preferred schools require the completion of an additional or supplementary information form, it will need to be returned along with your Application for a Change of School Form.
      • Include your forename(s), surname, and relationship to the child you are making the application for. Also include telephone numbers.
      • Remember to sign and date the Declaration at the end of the form and include proof of address and any other relevant documents with your application.

    If you experience any difficulties in completing your Application for a Change of School In Year Form please contact a member of the Children’s Information and Advice Service on 0121 303 1888.

  • In determining applications for school places outside the normal admission round, admission authorities must comply with parental preference. In accordance with Section 86 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, with the exception of designated grammar schools, all maintained schools and Academies that have enough places available must offer a place to every child that has applied for one, without condition or the use of any criteria, unless one of the statutory reasons for refusing admission applies. The statutory reasons for refusal of admission are:

    • Children who have been permanently excluded twice
      If a child has been permanently excluded from two or more schools, whilst a parent may still express a preference for a school place, the obligation to comply with that preference is removed for a period of two years from the date on which the most recent permanent exclusion took place.

      This rule applies whatever the length of the period or periods elapsing between the exclusions and regardless of whether it has applied to that pupil on a previous occasion.

      For these purposes, a permanent exclusion takes effect from the first school day the head teacher has told the child not to attend school.

    • The above provision does not apply to:
      • Children with statements of special educational needs;
      • Children who were below compulsory school age when permanently excluded;
      • Children who were reinstated by an Independent Appeal Panel following a permanent exclusion; and
      • Children who would have been reinstated by an Independent Appeal Panel following a permanent exclusion had it been practicable to do so.

    • The admission authority for the school may refuse to admit a child who has been excluded twice, or in the case of a community or voluntary controlled school, the governing body may appeal against the decision of the local authority as the admission authority to admit the child. Local authorities are still responsible for providing full-time education for these children and may use their powers of direction or provide a place in a Pupil Referral Unit.

    Children with challenging behaviour

    Admission authorities must not refuse to admit children in or outside the normal admission round on the basis of their behaviour elsewhere, unless the provisions above relating to two permanent exclusions apply.

    Admission authorities must also not refuse to admit a child thought to be potentially disruptive, or to exhibit challenging behaviour, on the grounds that the child is first to be assessed for special educational needs. Where a governing body does not wish to admit a child with challenging behaviour outside the normal admissions round, even though places are available, it must refer the case to the local authority for action under the Fair Access Protocol. This will normally only be appropriate where the school has a particularly high proportion of children with challenging behaviour or previously excluded children.

    If, following admission, a child is found to be seriously and persistently disruptive, the school may consider disciplinary action in the normal way, including fixed term and, ultimately, permanent exclusion procedures.

    In order for co-ordination to be effective, schools that are their own admission authority must communicate the availability of places to School Admissions and Pupil Placements Service when requested.

  • Each local authority must have a Fair Access Protocol, agreed with the majority of schools in its area to ensure that – outside the normal admissions round – unplaced children, especially the most vulnerable, are offered a place at a suitable school as quickly as possible. In agreeing a protocol, the local authority must ensure that no school – including those with available places – is asked to take a disproportionate number of children who have been excluded from other schools, or who have challenging behaviour. The protocol must include how the local authority will use provision to ensure that the needs of pupils who are not ready for mainstream schooling are met.

    The operation of Fair Access Protocols is outside the arrangements of co-ordination and is triggered when a parent of an eligible child has not secured a school place under in-year admission procedures.

    All admission authorities must participate in the Fair Access Protocol in order to ensure that unplaced children are allocated a school place quickly. There is no duty for local authorities or admission authorities to comply with parental preference when allocating places through the Fair Access Protocol.

    Where a governing body does not wish to admit a child with challenging behaviour outside the normal admissions round, even though places are available, it must refer the case to the local authority for action under the Fair Access Protocol. This will normally only be appropriate where a school has a particularly high proportion of children with challenging behaviour or previously excluded children. The use of this provision will depend on local circumstances and must be described in the local authority’s Fair Access Protocol. This provision will not apply to a looked after child, a previously looked after child or a child with a statement of special educational needs naming the school in question, as these children must be admitted.

    Admission authorities must not refuse to admit a child thought to be potentially disruptive, or likely to exhibit challenging behaviour, on the grounds that the child is first to be assessed for special educational needs.

    A Fair Access Protocol must not require a school automatically to take another child with challenging behaviour in the place of a child excluded from the school.

    The list of children to be included in a Fair Access Protocol is to be agreed with the majority of schools in the area but must, as a minimum, include the following children of compulsory school age who have difficulty securing a school place:

    1. children from the criminal justice system or Pupil Referral Units who need to be reintegrated into mainstream education;
    2. children who have been out of education for two months or more;
    3. children of Gypsies, Roma, Travellers, refugees and asylum seekers;
    4. children who are homeless;
    5. children with unsupportive family backgrounds for whom a place has not been sought;
    6. children who are carers; and
    7. children with special educational needs, disabilities or medical conditions (but without a statement).

    For further information regarding Birmingham’s Fair Access Protocol, please contact the School Admissions and Pupil Placements Service on 0121 303 1888.

  • Year 12 applications are not coordinated by Birmingham City Council. Applications should be made direct to the school(s) concerned.

    Pupils are considered for entry into Year 12 based upon academic attainment and / or individual subject grade criteria and the availability and suitability of courses at the school. Details of the academic requirements for each course can be obtained by contacting the school.

    Internal applicants meeting the minimum academic entrance requirements will be offered a place automatically.

  • Moving to a new school is an important step for any child. If you are not moving address and would like to change your child’s school, you should take the following into consideration:

    • How will your child cope with learning new rules and having to do things differently, or possibly having missed important work. Children who transfer schools after their exam subjects have been chosen in Year 9 may find that they cannot do the same subjects, or that the exam board and courses are different.
    • If your child has brothers or sisters at the same school, transferring one child may affect the others.
    • Will it be difficult for you to have children attending different schools?
    • How will you manage the start and finish times? Most schools in Birmingham are full and we may not be able to offer you the school that you want.

    We advise that you sit down with your child and ask them why they want to move to a different school. If they mention that they are being bullied or not getting on with other pupils, you should speak to your child’s Form Tutor or Head of Year first in order to try and resolve the situation. Schools in Birmingham usually have an ‘Anti-Bullying Policy’ which is followed.

    If after doing this you still have major concerns, or are unhappy about the way the school is dealing with your complaint, you should make an appointment to speak to the Headteacher. You may also write to the Chair of the school's Governing Body.

  • Coventry City Council
    Telephone: 02476 831577

    Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council
    Telephone: 01384 814223

    Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council
    Telephone: 0121 569 6765

    Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
    Telephone: 0121 704 6693

    Telephone: 01785 278 593

    Walsall Council
    Telephone: 01922 686 585

    Warwickshire County Council
    Telephone: 01926 742 037 (Secondary Team)

    Wolverhampton City Council
    Telephone: 01902 554 176

    Worcestershire County Council
    Telephone: 01905 822 700

Frequently Asked Questions