Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Safe Use of Taxis and Private Hire Cars
Promoting Safer Journeys
Here are the key messages from Licensing to help you stay safe whilst using licensed Taxis and Private Hire vehicles:
- If you are planning to use a private hire vehicle, decide which operator to use in advance and book the journey through the operator.
- Make checks to ensure the vehicle you are getting into is the vehicle that you have booked. Don’t tell the driver your name; ask what the name on his booking is. Remember when using private hire vehicles you are only insured if you have pre-booked.
- If you are not pre booking are you going to be near a Hackney Carriage Rank? Find out where the nearest rank is in relation to where you are going so that you can get straight into a vehicle when you are ready to go home. (Please see the below attached Purple Flag Guide which provides details of the Official Taxi Ranks in Birmingham)
- Use the marshalled taxi ranks at weekends on Broad Street and Arcadian Centre wherever possible as they are in busy well lit areas. The marshals are there for your safety.
- Avoid leaving the busy areas and heading down the back streets which attract uninsured and unlicensed vehicles.
- Look out for the required signage on the vehicle.
- Always try and take down the vehicles’ plate number or registration number. After nights out try and travel with friends and check that the last person dropped off made it home safely.
- Never get into a private hire vehicle if you have not booked it through an operator.