Inter Library Loans Service
Inter Library Loans
If you want a book or journal article which the library does not hold, you can request it through Inter Library Loans. The inter-lending team will try to obtain a copy from another Library Authority but you must be a member of Birmingham Libraries and hold a valid library card.
How do I make an Inter Library loan request?
- Visit one of our Community Libraries or the Central Library to make the Inter Library Loan application.
- Fill out an inter library loan application form
- Pay a fee of £9 per item requested
What happens next ?
The inter-lending team will search computer databases and catalogues to track down the item and send the request to the appropriate Library Authority. When the item arrives, you will be notified.
- Journal articles. These are delivered as Secure Electronic Documents. More information about Secure Electronic Documents. If you don't have an e-mail address, you can still choose to have them posted to you.
- When items for loan arrive you will be notified by a printed 'mailer letter' which will tell you that the item has arrived at the library and is ready for collection or consultation.
- Book loans taken home by you must be returned by the date specified to the library where you made your Inter Library Loan request.
- You may contact the library at any time to find out what is happening to your request or to renew the item although some books which are in demand cannot be renewed.
Contact Inter Library Loans
Tel: 0121 242 4242