Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Apply for a council home

This page is known as http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/housing-application

Applying for a council home

Anyone aged 16 or over can apply to join the housing register. Read our Eligibility for a council home page for more detailed information.

If you would like to apply to join our housing register you need to complete a housing application form. Please use our guide to applying for housing to help you complete the form.

We do not have enough houses to be able to house all of the applicants on our waiting list.

To improve your chances of being housed by us you should try to be as flexible as possible about the type of property and the area of the city you would live in.

If you need help to complete your form, or if you have any questions, please call us on 0121 216 3030.We will offer you an appointment at your nearest Customer Service Centre or arrange for someone to visit you in your home.

Read our frequently asked questions page for more help and advice.

Summary of our allocation scheme

The summary of the allocation scheme, attached below, explains:

  • who can go on the council housing register
  • who can be made an offer
  • how we decide who gets priority for housing.

Please note -Sections 4 and 5 of our allocations scheme changed with effect from 15 November 2010. These changes only affect people bidding for homes built by the Birmingham Municipal Housing Trust.

Are you unhappy with your housing application?

If you are unhappy with any decision we have made about your housing application you may be able to ask us to review our decision. This is sometimes called an appeal

Read our leaflet below for more information, or print off a copy of the form if you would like to request a review.

Does your home affect your health?

If the home you live in is affecting your health (or any other member of your household), or you require a property that is adapted AND you're currently applying or about to apply to join the housing register, then please call the health and housing advice line on 0121 303 3995.

Have your circumstances changed?

It is very important that we are able to keep our housing register up to date.

If you are already on the housing register you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances since you made your rehousing application as it may affect your housing application.

To make it easier for you to tell us about changes you can use the change of circumstances form below.

Here are some examples of the types of changes we need to know about:

  • Someone has moved in or out of your home
  • someone has become pregnant or had a baby
  • your phone number has changed
  • you want to change the areas you are seeking housing in
  • your household's medical situation has changed.

You can get copies of all our forms and leaflets from your local customer service centre.

Social Housing and Benefit Fraud

We are committed to preventing and detecting all instances of fraud. In accordance with the Fraud Act 2006, a person is guilty of fraud if they are in breach of any of the sections listed in the Act, namely; fraud by false representation, fraud by failing to disclose information, and fraud by abuse of position. This includes trying to obtain services such as housing. If we detect fraud we will take criminal action in respect of any offences committed.

Lettings - Photo Identification

If you are housed by us and as part of our lettings processes we will take a photograph of every tenant. It is essential that all persons over the age of 16, who will be included on the tenancy, attend the letting. We will use the photographs for up to 10 years, and a copy of your photo will be held with your tenancy file. The photo will be used to validate and confirm your identity and to help tackle housing and benefit fraud including illegal sub-letting of council housing.

Your photograph is personal data, and as such it will be held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and with the council's Privacy Policy which is available on www.birmingham.gov.uk/privacy


Birmingham City Council
Homeless and Pre-Tenancy Services
PO Box 16352
B2 2AA
0121 303 1111 (option 6)