Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Gas servicing

As a landlord Birmingham City Council must arrange a service for all the gas appliances and flues in the homes of our tenants - excluding gas appliances that tenants are entitled to move. This helps us to make sure your appliances are working properly and you are not in danger from carbon monoxide poisoning.

By law this must be done once a year.
Gas servicing is free.

Did you know that about 30 people die every year in Britain from carbon monoxide poisoning?

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas and can kill you and others living in your property. When your gas appliances are not burning properly, carbon monoxide can build up in the air that you are breathing, this is why it is so important that you have your free safety check.
Birmingham City Council currently has five partners providing free annual safety checks for tenants.

Who services your gas appliances on our behalf?

Our partners are:

PH Jones

All partners will carry identity cards. If you are unsure, please contact the repairs call centre on 0800 073 3333.

What qualifications should the partners have?

All should be 'Gas Safe' registered with identification and registration numbers to prove it.

Remember - always ask to see their identification.

How long does the free gas service take?

About 45 minutes.

What does the engineer check?

You will be given a copy of the landlords' gas safety record, which will show all the checks that have been carried out.

When can the check be carried out?

The partners perform checks morning, afternoon, evening and at the weekend. You can arrange an appointment to suit you with the contractor.

Can I miss my annual service?

No, you will put yourself and others who live with you at risk and it would break the law.

Do I have to arrange the free annual gas service myself?

The council's appointed partner will advise you of the intended date for the check. If the partner can't contact you they will leave a card with their telephone number on it, you need to then contact the partner to arrange a time suitable for yourself.

What happens if I don't let the council (via their approved partners) check my gas appliances?

You may lose your home.
We will issue a notice seeking possession of your property in order to make sure it's safe, and to comply with our legal duty as your landlord.

We hope this shows you just how important it is to let Birmingham City Council arrange to have your gas appliances serviced every year.

If you are a tenant and you have not had a gas service in the last 12 months, please contact us immediately on one of the numbers below:

Ladywood, Perry Barr, Erdington and Sutton Coldfield
0121 303 1833
Hodge Hill and Yardley
0121 675 6476
Northfield,Selly Oak,Hall Green,Edgbaston - 0121 303 5953