Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Food Premises Registration

What is Registration
The law requires that premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) should be registered. Registration, which cannot be refused, allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in our area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of our visits will depend on the type of business.

Please note this information only applies to businesses operating in the Birmingham City Council area. If you are operating elsewhere you should contact that local authority.

Who needs to Register
If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register at least 28 days before commencing operation.

How to Register
Please use the link below to our online application form.


Registration is FREE.

Processing Timescale
Our target for dealing with applications is 28 days.

Tacit Consent
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with your application within the target period identified then your application will have been deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that the processing target period (28 days) only begins on receipt of a fully completed application and acknowledgement of such by Birmingham City Council Food Safety Team.

Guidance and Advice
You can find more information on running or operating a food business in Birmingham on our Food Safety web pages. The Food Standards Agency also provides a wide range of useful information.

Food Hygiene Regulations 2006
EC 852/2004

Public Register
Details from application forms will appear in a public register. Information on addresses and the type of food business carried on at those premises will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will NOT be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of Birmingham City Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies. The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Complaints/Enquiries - Applicants or Licence Holders
Contact the Food Safety Team - contact details included below.

Consumer Complaints
See our Food Safety web pages in respect of food complaints or food poisoning.

Multi Food Business Sites
Sites will exist on which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of the same food business operator. For example, in the case of a shopping centre in which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of the same business operator, such operators must ensure that each establishment under their control is registered separately. Food business operators should therefore complete a registration form for each separate establishment.

Sites will also exist on which there are two or more food business establishments under the control of different food business operators. For example, a supermarket may have a coffee shop on site under the control of a different food business operator such as a coffee shop chain. In such cases the coffee shop will not be covered by the supermarket registration and must be registered in it's own right by it's operator. Coffee shops, snack bars etc. operated by the supermarket itself would be covered as part of the supermarket's registration.

Changes to Registration/Licence

Once you have registered you only need to notify us of a change of Food Business Operator, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of address at which moveable premises are kept. The new Food Business operator will have to complete an application form.

If you wish to change the entry in the Register because of information we receive from someone else, you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

Telephone our contact centre: 0121 303 6007
Fax: 0121 303 1391
e-mail: refer to Environmental Health - how to contact us for access to our online e-mail form.