Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Environmental Permit - Notification of Change to Prescribed Process

What is an Environmental Permit
The City Council is responsible for the regulation of certain industrial processes that have the potential to cause air pollution. We currently regulate approximately 260 processes across the city ranging from petrol service stations, vehicle refinishers, foundries, manufacturers of timber and rubber products through to car manufacturing plants. Officers in the Pollution Control Team work closely with industry to help improve environmental performance and to ensure compliance with the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010.

Who needs a Permit
If you are in control of, operate or propose operating any premises identified in the above regulations then you must apply for and obtain a permit from the city council.

How to Apply to Change a Permit
If there are changes planned to any prescribed process for which an Environmental Permit has been issued then a Notification of Proposed Change to Prescribed Process (see below) must be completed and returned to the Pollution Control Team - contact details are on the application form and are also provided at the bottom of this page. The application form must be sent to the Pollution Control Team at the address indicated with various supporting documents as indicated on the application form.

It is advisable to contact the Pollution Control Team (details below) before applying for a Notification of Proposed Change to Prescribed Process in order to discuss requirements in detail.

Online Application

Online Environmental Permit Application - Notification of Change to Prescribed Process

Permit fees are set by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the latest fees and charges can be seen at: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/pollution/ppc/localauth/fees-risk/fees.htm.

Processing Timescale
We aim to determine notifications of change to prescribed process within the timescale set by DEFRA which is currently 4 months.

Tacit Consent
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with an application within the target period identified then that can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit approval does not apply in respect of Environmental Permit applications or notifications for change to prescribed process as it is in the public interest that Birmingham City Council considers all applications.

Public Register
The public register for all Environmental Permits is held on the Regulation of Pollution from Industrial Sources web page.

Complaints/Enquiries - Applicants or Licence Holders
Contact the Pollution Control Team - contact details included below.

Consumer Complaints
Contact pollution.team@birmingham.gov.uk

Environmental Protection Unit
Pollution Control Team,
581 Tyburn Road
B24 9RF

Tel: 0121 303 9900
Fax: 0121 303 9901
E-mail: pollution.team@birmingham.gov.uk