Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance being carried out, this website will be unavailable from 7am Saturday 10th October 2015 through to Sunday morning, 11th October 2015. We aim to have it back up and running as soon as possible, and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Energy Efficiency


Energy efficiency is about optimising how you use energy in your home. We can offer you advice on how to stay warm and comfortable without wasting either energy or money.

Essential Information
  • The Housing Department is committed to improving energy efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions in Birmingham homes but there are a lot of things you can do to help yourself. Through our affordable warmth strategy we are also committed to eliminating fuel poverty, ensuring that everyone can afford to keep their home warm.

    Advice and a free “energy in the home” check are available through our partnership with the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre in Birmingham. You’ll be able to see just how energy efficient your home is and what you can do to improve it.
    The centre can also tell you about financial assistance available to help you do this.
    Visit their website or call them free on 0800 512012.

    Grants for central heating, loft and cavity wall insulation

    In certain circumstances, grants are available through the Government’s Warm Front scheme to pay towards the cost of these measures, contact 0800 316 6011 for more information or visit their website.

  • You must be a resident of Birmingham.

  • Business in the Environment
    44 Baker Street
    W1M 1DH
    0207 224 1600

    Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
    Environment and Energy Technology Division
    151 Buckingham Palace Road
    SW1W 9SS
    Tel: 0207 215 5000

    Energy Saving Trust
    21 Dartmouth Street
    SW1H 9BP
    Tel: 0207 117 0344
    Fax: 0207 227 0367
    : www.est.org.uk

    Midlands Environment Business Club (MEBC) / "Envirobiz"
    The Environmental Business Centre,
    Unit F3
    The Arch
    48-52 Floodgate Street
    B5 5SL
    Tel: 0121 693 8338
    Fax: 0121 693 8448

    Energy Ombudsman
    Energy Ombudsman
    PO Box 966
    WA4 9DF
    Tel: 0845 055 0760
    Fax: 0845 055 0765

    Energy Efficiency Best Practice Programme (EEBPP)
    Tel: 0541 542 541

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Call the Warm Front freephone number 0800 316 2805.

    • On occasions the City Council partner with other organisations to deliver energy efficiency measures. There are none identified at this time.

    • Your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre will be able to provide you with more advice and information - call 0800 512 012.

    • In general, if there are a small number of items and enough space, the installer will move them as he works. However, if there is limited space and too many items that will restrict movement they will have to be stored elsewhere during the installation. Organisations such as Care & Repair and Age Concern may be able to provide the services of a handy man.

    • For a list of grants and offers in your local area, call your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre 0800 512 012.

    • For a list of grants and offers in your local area, call your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre 0800 512 012.

    • Call your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre on 0800 512 012.

    • For help finding a registered installer in your local area, contact your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre 0800 512 012.

    • Call your local Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre on 0800 512 012 - they will advise about Health Through Warmth.

    • Call the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 336699. They can contact your energy provider on your behalf and find out if you are eligible for any financial help.

      Alternatively, you can contact your energy provider to see if they have special tariffs for low income customers.

    • In the first instance you should contact your energy supplier. If you are dissatisfied with their response, your complaint should be escalated with your supplier in accordance with their complaint handling procedures. If your dispute remains unresolved, you can get the Energy Ombudsman to investigate.