Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support – Appeals


Sometimes, you may not agree with our decision on how much housing benefit we will pay you, or you may want to dispute any overpayments we’ve made. In such circumstances, you can:

  • Ask us for a more detailed explanation
  • Ask us to look at our decision again
  • Appeal against our decision

You must do this within one month of the date on the decision letter.

If you are unsure please ask us to look at your decision again - you can still appeal at a later date if you still do not agree with us.

Essential Information
  • If you have appealed and we stand by our original decision we will send your appeal to the Tribunal Service.

    The appeal will be heard by an independent person who will consider the reasons we put forward and the reasons you think they are wrong. You will have the right to attend the hearing and you may want to taker a representative with you.

    This might be someone from CAB, an advice agency or a solicitor but remember a solicitor may charge depending on your financial circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions