Council Tax Support
As part of Welfare Reform the Government has announced that Council Tax Benefit is to be abolished and replaced from April 2013 by new local financial support schemes, called Council Tax Support.
The Council Tax Support scheme will provide 100% protection to the following claimant or their partner who :
- is a pensioner
- is entitled to a disability premium or disabled child premium
- is entitled to Employment Support Allowance and who also receives a qualifying disability related benefit
- receives a carers premium
- receives a war disablement pension, war widows pension or war widower’s pension
- has a dependant child under 6
Claimants of working age (other than those listed above) will now have to make a contribution themselves towards their Council Tax bill.
As Council Tax Support will be calculated as a means tested discount, the amount each household will have to pay towards their Council Tax will be dependent on their individual circumstances.
How to make a claim for Council Tax Support
All existing council tax benefit claimants will automatically transfer to council tax support. To make a new claim for council tax support complete the online form. It is important to read the information and details required on the page before you start to apply. Report any changes to your circumstances straight away.