Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Council Tax Enquiries

Birmingham City Council has a duty to maintain accurate records for billing and collection of Council Tax and Business Rates (National Non-Domestic Rates NNDR).

New properties and Completion Notices

What is a Completion Notice?

A Completion Notice is a document that specifies the 'completion date' for newly built properties. It is the date on which the property becomes a dwelling for Council Tax purposes, and is the date it is entered into the Valuation list.

The council can issue a completion notice if it believes a property that is not in the valuation list can be completed within three months.

If you disagree with the date we have used contact us and we may agree to change it and issue a new notice.

If we cannot agree a date you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal (VT). For details of the process, please go to their website.

The VT will accept your appeal as long as:

  • it is a matter they are allowed by law to consider. i.e. related to a completion notice, AND
  • we have written to you no more than two months previously confirming our decision and your right of appeal, OR
  • it is more than four months since you made a written request that we reconsider the matter and we have not responded to you in writing

They cannot make a decision in relation to:

  • the manner in which the council has handled the matter, for instance the advice that you were given or delays in replying to you

You may wish to instruct an agent or surveyor to appeal on your behalf but they will charge you.

The council does not endorse particular companies or individuals but you are advised to deal only with qualified members of the IRRV or RICS.

Our customer charter promise to you

"This charter sets out the service that you can expect from the Council Tax office. It shows the standards we have set and want to maintain. As a Council Taxpayer you have the right to a high quality service."

Mark Rogers - Chief Executive

The Council Tax Office will:

  • send out accurate council tax bills
  • collect council tax promptly and efficiently
  • deal with your enquiries promptly and efficiently
  • provide clear and up-to-date information
  • help you understand your rights and obligations
  • continually improve our standards and services
  • give value for money in our services.

We will also:

  • tell you what our standards are
  • provide clear information
  • ask for your views.

Follow up any complaints received and provide a full explanation of our findings (please see "How to Complain" at the bottom of this page).

Formal complaints will be investigated by a senior manager who will tell you the outcome and may need to interview you about your complaint. These standards have been set and are in place. We regularly review our performance and the standard of service we provide.

Letters, Emails and Other Documents

  • your letters/emails will be actioned or responded to within 10 working days of being received. All of your questions will be answered
  • claims for exemptions and discounts will be actioned within 10 working days of receiving all the necessary information
  • replies will be signed by the person dealing with your enquiry
  • during peak periods, for example during March when the new bills have been sent out, it may take a little longer to deal with your enquiry.

Telephone Calls

  • our specially trained telephone answering team is available to take your call during the publicised hours
  • the information you give will usually be dealt with immediately
  • all of your questions will be answered
  • we know that some customers have difficulty getting through at very busy times. We have employed more staff to take your calls, and we will be monitoring this area closely

Our Staff will:

  • be well trained
  • be courteous, helpful and patient
  • be fair
  • make every effort to answer your questions
  • tell you your rights
  • explain council tax law
  • give their name when you ask
  • provide help in a number of languages.

We have a duty to collect Council Tax from all taxpayers. We will:

  • send bills within 10 working days of receiving the required information
  • provide a variety of payment methods
  • make payment arrangements with taxpayers in difficulty
  • take prompt recovery action
  • chase payment from those who will not pay.

How to contact us

You can contact the Council Tax Office by various methods.

We aim to respond to your letters, e-mails, faxes and forms within 14 days. At certain times of the year, due to high volumes of incoming correspondence, it is not always possible to meet this target. When this occurs, please be assured that we will respond to your enquiry in due course and your patience in these circumstances is appreciated.

When you telephone our specially trained telephone team during published hours, the information you give will usually be dealt with immediately. If this is not possible, it will be actioned within 14 days.

If you have a problem or want advice about your Council Tax account, please contact us by your preferred method.

Please make sure that you quote your ten-digit billing reference number on your correspondence.


In Writing:

Birmingham City Council
Resources department (revenues and benefits)
PO Box 5
B4 7AB.

Telephone:0121 303 1113 Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (except bank holidays).Please note that for quality and training purposes we may monitor and record your call.

Text phone:0121 303 1119 For use by customers with hearing difficulties.

Please note that this service is for registered users only.

Information guides

 PDF Council Tax WM Police (Size: 1.34 Mb Type: PDF )

Copyright: Birmingham City Council



 PDF Council Tax - Centro (Size: 914 Kb Type: PDF )

Copyright: Birmingham City Council


 PDF CENTRO 2015-16 (Size: 821 Kb Type: PDF )

Copyright: Birmingham City Council

Who is liable to pay?

Normally the person living in the property will pay, if it is their sole or main residence and they are over 18 years of age. If more than one person lives in the property, then it is the person who comes first on the following list:-

  • owner who lives in the property
  • tenant who lives in the property
  • any person who lives in the property
  • owner who does not live in the property

If two or more people have the same interest in the property, e.g., they are joint owners, or are married or living together as though married then they are all made liable and the Council Tax bill is payable by either person.

In some circumstances, the owner is the liable person for the following types of property who have to pay and not the people who live there:

  • Residential care homes
  • Houses split into different households
  • Religious communities
  • Houses for residential staff
  • Certain properties for religious ministers and
  • Houses for asylum seekers.

Information guide

If you think your council tax bill, band or liability is wrong, please see the appeals page.