Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance, some of our forms may be unavailable on Saturday between 8.00am and 6.00pm. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Child Employment

This page is known as: www.birmingham.gov.uk/child-employment

A child of school age is not allowed to work more than 12 hours per week during term time.

Work Permits
School pupils involved in employment and entertainment need to have a Work Permit issued to them before they can work. The Education Welfare Service has a Child Employment Registration and an Entertainment Licensing team.

If you are a school pupil, the information on this page is for you. It should answer most of the questions you have about doing a part-time job.

How old must I be to work part time?
13 years old.

What do I need when I start work?
Your employer must register you with the Local Authority.

How much should I get paid?
Your rate of pay is set by your employer. You may want to talk to another adult to ask what they think is a fair wage.

Ive received a national insurance card, when can I start work full time?
Sample National Insurance number: NW/65/67/74/S

You can only start full time work after you have officially left school which is the last Friday in June of your final year.

Can I be stopped from working?

  • if your school attendance suffers
  • if you are continually late for school
  • if your school work suffers
  • if your health suffers

What times am I allowed to work?
You can work after 7 o'clock in the morning and before 7 o'clock in the evening.

More information about employment while still attending school is given on the DirectGov web site.

More information can be obtained from the Child Employment & Licensing Section:

email: Child Employment and Licensing Section

Tel: 0121 303 8900

If you need to see a member of the team a prior appointment is necessary.