Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Running A Business From Home


If someone is causing a nuisance by running a business from home, you can report it using the button above. If you are considering running a business from home, you may need planning permission (see below for further details).

Essential Information
  • If you are an owner occupier you should contact the Planning Department if you wish to run a business from home, as you may require planning permission to do this. Whether you require Planning Permission depends on a number of factors including:

    • What type of business will be operating from the premise
    • The affect the nature of the business will have upon the dwelling
    • How much of the property will be used for business purposes, i.e. one room, all of upstairs etc
    • The effect it will have upon the neighbours.
  • We have set up the Community Safety Partnership, a specialist team that deals with Antisocial Behaviour across the city.

    In the first instance, so long as it's safe, we will always advise you to speak directly with whoever is causing the problem.

    Many disputes between neighbours could be resolved just by talking to each other. Your neighbour may not even realise that they’re causing a nuisance.

    If you’re being subjected to persistent Antisocial Behaviour, we’ll then refer your complaint either to the Community Safety Partnership or the council department best placed to deal with your specific issue.

    If you’re a tenant of a registered social landlord, we may give you their contact details, if the matter is something that they have the power to deal with.

    In an emergency you should always call 999 and report the matter to the police.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • We can only investigate incidents that happen in Birmingham. If the incident happened somewhere else, then you should notify the relevant local authority, or the police.

    • In some circumstances the councils service may be able to help resolve problems before they become full disputes. Even if there is a history of problems between the parties, Mediation can be useful in helping to resolve them.

    • We will respond to your complaint within one working day if it is a very serious complaint (category A) such as harassment, violence or threat of violence or a hate crime. We will respond to your complaint within five working days if it is a serious complaint (category B) such as threats or threatening behaviour, or intimidating behaviour from groups or individuals. We will also give you the name of the local officer who is looking into your complaint.