Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 23 July 2016 from 3.30 am to 1 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Land Ownership/Boundary Issues


Such disputes are private matters and are not regulated by us. These must be resolved between neighbours, (unless involving Council owned land). Often the deeds of privately owned properties contain boundary ownership details.

You may find that the following works to or near shared walls (including repairs) fall within the scope of The Party Wall Act 1996:

  • Work on a wall, floor or ceiling shared with another property
  • Building on the boundary with another property
  • Excavating within 6 metres of an adjoining building.
Essential Information
  • We advise you to approach land owners to try and resolve the problem. However, if this is not possible, you may like to get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau or your solicitor on the best possible way to resolve the matter.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • A ‘party wall’ is a wall that is shared or used by two owners. The Party Wall Act provides a framework to enable either party to carry out work to that party wall or close to its foundations. It is a piece of civil legislation and is not regulated by us.

      You will need to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau, a solicitor or a Legal Advisor for further advice.

      For a copy of the Party Wall Act 1996 please see The Office of Public Sector Information.

    • Your title deeds usually tell you this.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry