Help for people leaving the armed forces
Your Military Community Choir Needs You!
The Royal British Legion and Birmingham Bach Choir are running a choir open to all serving personnel, reservists, cadets, veterans, and families.
No singing experience needed and there are no auditions, just turn up, but you must be over 16 years old.
Our Armed Forces Community Covenant
armed forces, council and voluntary sector.
On 21 February 2012, Birmingham City Council adopted an Armed Forces Community Covenant.
The purpose of the Community Covenant is to encourage support for the Armed Forces Community working and residing in Birmingham and to recognise and encourage the contribution that they can make to the communities in which they live and work.
You can download a copy of the Community Covenant below.
Aims of the Community Covenant
- To support the principles of the national Armed Forces Covenant, which details how the the government, and the nation as a whole, should all interact with our Armed Forces.
- To encourage all of Birmingham's communities to offer support to the Armed Forces community.
- To help Armed Forces personnel and their families to access the help and support available to them.
- To encourage the Armed Forces community to support their local community and promote activities which integrate them with civilian life.
How we will achieve our aims
- Set up an equity share scheme to help ex-service personnel buy new homes in Birmingham - Veterans Home Buy.
- Provide additional points for council home applications from ex-service personnel.
- Explore how the Armed Forces community can contribute to voluntary activities in Birmingham.
- Provide opportunities for ex-service personnel to to access employment and training.
- Identify existing support services for the families and children of the Armed Forces community.
- Support the ongoing health and well-being of current and ex-service personnel.
Housing help for people leaving the armed forces
Please read our leaflet attached below for more information on how Birmingham City Council helps ex-services personnel to find a home, it also includes details of other agencies that help ex-service personnel.
Visit the Shelter website for a wide range of information and details about the help available for ex-service personnel who are faced with housing problems.
Armed Forces Covenant Fund
The Covenant Fund Scheme gives financial support to local projects that strengthen the ties or the mutual understanding between members of the Armed Forces Community and the wider community in which they live. It is administered by the Ministry of Defence on behalf of the government and funding is in place for the next three years.
For more information, and to find out how to apply for a grant, read our Covenant Fund Scheme page.