Support and services for Carers
Finding help and support for carers
There are a number of organisations that offer help to carers, from daily help in your home, to respite care, to finding funding.
- The Birmingham Carers Hub will help you access a wide-range of help and support..
- Find out more about respite care and breaks for carers on our My Care in Birmingham website.
- Find a list of providers of all types and care and support, including carer breaks and respite care, on our My Care in Birmingham website.
Who is a carer?
You are a carer if you look after a friend, relative or neighbour who has a long-term disability, mental health difficulty, or is frail due to old age, and you are not paid for the care you provide.
You may be helping them with:
- personal care, such as washing, dressing or taking medication;
- practical care, such as support with shopping, cooking and cleaning; or
- emotional support if they are lonely, worried or get upset.
You do not have to live in the same house as the person you care for to be their carer.
Carers Break Grant scheme
Carers Break Grants are payments of £250 provided by Birmingham City Council. Carers can only get a grant once every two years and the person they care for must live in Birmingham. From 1 April 2015 until end of summer 2015, the scheme is open for new applications.
During September we are expecting a decision by Birmingham City Council regarding proposals to switch to a new scheme. A consultation will be taking place about the proposed new scheme between 1st June 2015 and 31st July 2015. Details of the consultation will be added as soon as they are available.
Please ensure that you apply for a carers break grant using an up to date application form. The application form and guidance notes are available for download at the bottom of the page. If you would like us to send a form please contact the team on the telephone number below.
Who can apply?
In order for a carer to apply for a grant the person they care for must
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be resident within the City of Birmingham
For further information and an application form, please contact us on:
Phone 0121 303 4044Email: CarersBreakGrant@birmingham.gov.uk