Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Neighbour Nuisance


It's your right to live in peace, free from the nuisance of noisy or antisocial neighbours. We can investigate and tackle noise from neighbours and other nuisances. To report an antisocial neighbour you can click the button above.

We will work with partner agencies such as West Midlands Police and Environmental Health to investigate and tackle issues of nuisance neighbours causing problems. In serious instances of antisocial behaviour we will work to secure legal action against perpetrators.

If you have a dispute with your neighbour over a shared boundary we can only help if one of the parties is a Council tenant. If this is the case please use the boundary dispute button above.

Essential Information
  • Under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, we have specific duties for monitoring and dealing with anti social behaviour. In response to this, we have set up the Community Safety Partnership, a specialist team that deals with anti social behaviour across the city.

    It’s always best to try to nip problem behaviour in the bud. In the first instance, so long as it’s safe, we will always advise you to speak directly with whoever is causing the problem.

    Many disputes between neighbours could be resolved just by talking to each other. Issues are often just down to a clash of lifestyles – the perpetrator(s) may not even realise that they’re causing a nuisance.

    If you’re being subjected to persistent anti social behaviour, we’ll then refer your complaint either to the Community Safety Partnership or the council department best placed to deal with your specific issue.

    If you’re a tenant of a registered social landlord, we may give you their contact details, if the matter is something that they have the power to deal with.

    In an emergency you should always call 999 and report the matter to the police.

  • We can only intervene in a boundary dispute if one of the parties is a Council Tenant. Tenants of registered social landlords should contact their landlord for help. If you own your home then you should contact a solicitor.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • We can only investigate incidents that happen in Birmingham. If the incident happened somewhere else, then you should notify the relevant local authority, or the police.

    • In some circumstances the councils service may be able to help resolve problems before they become full disputes. Even if there is a history of problems between the parties, Mediation can be useful in helping to resolve them.

    • Antisocial behaviour is a behaviour which causes distress or alarm to others. This covers a wide range of problems but key things which define Antisocial behaviour include:

      • Excessive noise (especially late at night)
      • Rowdy, unruly or threatening behaviour
      • Criminal activity or offences
      • Drug dealing and related problems
      • Nuisance caused by children of tenants, or visitors to council properties and estates
      • Nuisance caused by animals
      • Vandalism, including graffiti
      • Harassment, including racial, sexual and homophobic
      • Dumping of litter or rubbish
      • Statutory nuisance, such as fume emissions
      • Breaches of tenancy conditions
      • Accidental inconsiderate behaviour
      • Verbal abuse.
External Links
We are not responsible for the content of other organisations' websites