Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Licensing Temporary Event Notice

This page can be referred to as

If you’re organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN).
A TEN is a form that you provide to the local council, the police and environmental health, letting them know about the planned event.

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales at which you wish to conduct licensable activities (i.e. sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment, late night refreshment), you must give a Standard Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event (excluding day of service, day of event, weekends or bank holidays). If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

The premises user must serve a copy of the notice to the Chief Officer of the appropriate West Midlands Police Licensing Team and Environmental Health. The notice must be received by both responsible authorities no later than ten working days before the event. (please note that ten working days starts on the day after receipt of the notice and does not include the day of the event).

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of 5 TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of fifty (50) TENs per year.

Premises are limited to a maximum total duration of the periods covered by temporary event notices of 21 days per calendar year or 12 TENs per Calendar year.

Late notices can be given no later than five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event in relation to which the notice is given. A late notice given later than five working days before the event to which it relates will be returned as void and the activities described in it will not be authorised.

The number of late notices that can be given in any one calendar year is limited to five for personal licence holders and two for non-personal licence holders. These count towards the total number of TENs (i.e. 50 TENs per year for personal licence holders and 5 TENs for non-personal licence holders).

If there is an objection from either the Police or Environmental Health, to a late TEN, the Licensing Authority must issue a Counter Notice and it would be unlawful for licensable activities to proceed.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time. The maximum period for using premises for licensable activities under the authority of a TEN is 168 hours (seven days) with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

More information

Eligibility Criteria

Application Process


How to Apply

Guidance and Advice

Public Register

Complaints/Enquiries – Applicants or Licence Holders

Consumer Complaints

Trade Associations