Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Benefit Enquiries

This page contains information for claimants on
  • Benefit Decision Notices
  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Overpayments
  • Universal Credit
  • Further help and advice

If you are a landlord, please see our Landlords page.

If you want information regarding Local Housing Allowance, please see our LHA page.

If you want to know what information you need to provide with a new claim or a change of circumstances, please see Documents Needed for Claims.

Benefit Decision Notices

We send benefit decision notices to let you know how much housing benefit you are entitled to.

We know that these letters contain a lot of information, so we have produced a page to help you understand what it means.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are receiving housing benefit but you are struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to get a discretionary housing payment (DHP) to help.

DHPs can help when the amount of HB you get isn’t enough to cover the rent or if you are in financial hardship.

DHPs can also help with removal costs, deposits or rent in advance if you move to a more affordable property. For more information, please see our DHP page.

We also have a fund to help with Council Tax. Please see our Council Tax Discretionary Fund page.


If we pay you too much housing benefit, we will write and tell you about the overpayment. An overpayment is defined as any payment of benefit to which the person wasn’t entitled. This guide provides more information about overpayments. attached document Housing Benefit Overpayments

If we write to you and you don’t understand the letter, you can either write to us at

Birmingham City Council
Revenues and Benefits
PO Box 8267
B4 7XF

Or email ptmailbox@birmingham.gov.uk - please note that this mailbox does NOT accept attachments.

If you are currently repaying an overpayment and can no longer afford the weekly repayments, please call out contact centre on 0121 464 7000. Please have your income and expenditure details with you when you call. We can then look again at your circumstances. If we decide we can change your recovery payments, we will write and tell you our decision.

If you receive an invoice for an overpayment and cannot afford the balance, please ring us on 0121 464 8248 to discuss a possible payment arrangement.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit forms part of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 and is intended to simplify the benefits system.

The Money Advice Service have produced a video to help you get ready for Universal Credit.

You can also visit GOV.UK for more information.

Further Help and Advice

If you would like an estimate of how much housing benefit and/or council tax support you may get, or if you would like to know what other benefits you might be entitled to, you can find out by using GOV.UK’s benefit calculators.

attached document Self Employed Form