Housing Benefit - Backdated Claims
If you haven’t made your claim for housing benefit on time, you can write to ask us to consider backdating it to when you first needed it.
We will always give consideration to the effect that missing housing benefit would have in terms of creating hardship.
If you are of a pensionable age you could have your claim backdated for up to 3 months. If you are of working age your claim could be backdated up to 6 months. You must have a good reason for not claiming earlier and you must have been entitled to housing benefit for the period the backdating will cover. You will also need to provide original proofs relating to the backdated period.
- Department for Works and Pensions
- Gov UK
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- National Debtline
- Gov UK - information about working, jobs and pensions
- The Rent Service
- National Benefit Fraud Hotline
- HM Revenue & Customs – Tax Credits
- HM Revenue & Customs – Child Benefit