Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 23 July 2016 from 3.30 am to 1 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Access to your personal information

Why do you keep information about me?

We need some information about you so that we can:

  • find out what social care services you need
  • make sure you are getting the services that you need
  • make sure these services help you stay independent and safe
  • plan the services you may need in the future.

Where does this information come from?

We get this information from:

  • you, or somebody on your behalf such as a family member or friend
  • people who think you may need our services such as a doctor or nurse
  • agencies or organisations that help us provide the best service for you.

Who do you give this information to?

We will only give your information to staff involved in giving you the service you need.

We will only share your information on a strict 'need to know' basis with staff in other organisations who are involved in your care. Normally we will not share with others before asking you but, if you or somebody else is in danger we may have to.

We plan and commission services jointly with other organisations in the NHS (National Health Service) and the third sector. This means we sometimes need to use personal information when we are planning which services will best meet the needs of people in Birmingham.

We may also share personal information with certain external agencies, when we have a responsibility under the law to do this.

How do you look after my information?

We make sure the information we keep about you is:

  • Relevant. We only keep the information we need to make sure you get a good service from us.
  • Correct. We want the information about you to be true and up to date. You can help by telling us if you your personal information changes, for example if you change your name, address or phone number.
  • Kept confidential. The only people who can see your personal information are those who need it to provide you with a service.
  • Kept only as long as needed. We keep some information for a short time after the service we gave to you has ended. When we no longer need to keep information about you, we will not keep it or give it to anyone else.

What are my rights?

You have rights about how we collect and use information about you. For example, you have a right:

  • to see information we hold about you
  • to see information about someone else but only if they agree.

You also have the right to complain if you are not happy with:

  • the information we are keeping about you
  • how well we have kept your information safe
  • how long we have kept your information
  • not being able to see the information we are keeping about you.

How do I see the information you are keeping about me?

To see your personal information, you need an application form called a Subject Access Request (SAR) form.

You can get a SAR from the Corporate Information Governance Team. Their contact details are:

Corporate Information Governance Team
Performance and Information (WS)
PO Box 16366
B2 2YY

Phone: 0121 303 4876

Fax: 0121 675 1427

Email: DP.Contacts@birmingham.gov.uk

You can download and print out a copy of an SAR form using the link at the end of this page.

When you have filled in the form, you need to sign it and post it or take it in to one of our offices. You must take proof of your identity with you, such as your driving licence, passport or a utility bill (for example an electricity, phone or gas bill).

We must send you a copy of the information that you have a right to see, or arrange for you to see it at one of our offices, in no more than 40 days of getting your SAR form.

You can keep your own copy of any information we hold about you on our files.

What if the information is not true?

If you think any of the information we have about you is wrong we will change it, or make a note next to it of what you tell us is the right information.

What can I do if I am still not happy about my personal information?

If we have told you that you cannot see information we hold about you, or that we will not change or remove information you think is wrong, you can write to:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

or call:

Data Protection Helpline
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Fax: 01625 524 510
Email: casework@ico.gsi.gov.uk

You can also:

  • apply to the courts. If you want to do this, you should talk a solicitor first.
  • make a complaint by using our complaints process.

Links to other pages

How Birmingham City Council looks after your personal information and shares it with others.

Freedom of Information
The information about Birmingham City Council that you have a right to see.

Data Protection Guide
This guide informs you of your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and details how Birmingham City Council will handle your information.

Links to other websites

Access to your personal information


Data Protection Act 1998

Freedom of Information Act 2000

Leaflets and forms

Information about me Easy to read leaflet (AC101B) Personal Information Easy Read Leaflet (Size: 182 Kb Type: PDF )

Copyright: OGL2.0, except where otherwise stated