Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Adult Social Care Services

Social care services for adults and their carers

Birmingham City Council provide social care services for adults over the age of 18, who live within Birmingham and their carers.


Helping keep adults who are at risk of abuse or neglect safe is very important to Birmingham City Council. If you have concerns that you, or someone you know, is at risk of being at harm from abuse or neglect, please contact us.

Eyes and Ears campaign

Anyone can become aware of an at risk person, and help protect them from being abused. If you have any suspicions contact the ACAP service on 0121 303 1234 (option 1). More information is available at Birmingham Safeguarding Adults Board. www.bsab.org/how-to-report-abuse/

Care Act 2014

From April 2015 the Care Act 2014 introduced wide ranging changes to how social care is provided in Birmingham and across the rest of the country.

For more information on the changes please visit our page www.birmingham.gov.uk/care-act

How to get Adult Social care in Birmingham

If you, or someone you know, needs help with their social care needs Birmingham City Council may be able to help. For information on the help that is available, how to make a referral for an assessment and other information please visit our ‘How to get Adult Social Care in Birmingham’ page.

Go straight to:

How to Contact Us about Adult Social Care support contact details for our social care services

Comments, compliments and complaints
Have your say on our services, by contacting the Customer Care and Citizen Involvement Team

Easy to find information and advice about adult social care

Information on a whole host of free or low-cost services for carers and the adults they care for – from the council, NHS and voluntary sector – is now available on one easy-to-use website.

The My Care in Birmingham website, managed by the council, leads you to the information you need, including support with living at home, being a carer, getting out and about in your local community, and keeping healthy, well and safe.

The website is free to use and you don’t need to register, you simply click on the topics you are interested in to find out more.

There is lots of useful information and advice there, plus links to other websites and contact details for everything from support groups to help with housework.

To see the website, visit www.mycareinbirmingham.org.uk

For providers - if you would like to advertise your goods and services to the citizens of Birmingham please email MCIBMarketplace@birmingham.gov.uk or refer to our marketplace provider guide for further information.

To find out about how personalisation is changing the way we provide adult social care services, please see the Did You Know? page.

The social care services provided by Birmingham City Council are inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Please visit our information page about the performance of People Directorate (Adults).

Direct Payments

The Directorate wants to give people who are eligible for services the greatest possible choice, and control over their care. The Directorate will initially look to provide you with a Direct Payment so that you can choose how your care needs can best be met. The Directorate will provide advice and assistance if needed to support you.
Please refer to the Direct Payments fact sheets for guidance on how they work, and are applied.

Adult social care services

  • Adult safeguarding
    Protecting vulnerable adults at risk of abuse and information about the Mental Capacity Act 2005, which aims to protect people who cannot make decisions for themselves.

  • Appointee and Court Deputy
    Looking after the financial affairs of people whose illness or disability makes it difficult for them to do it themselves

  • Blue Badge scheme
    Help with parking for people with a severe walking disability

  • Funeral arrangements
    Arranging funerals when there is no one else able or willing to do it

  • Home care
    Practical support and personal care for people living in their own homes

  • Meals on wheels
    Delivering frozen or hot meals to your home

  • Protection of Property
    Taking care of the belongings of someone who has had to go into a care home or hospital

Leaflets and documents

If you would like copies of our leaflets and forms in another language, in large print, in Braille or on audio tape, MP3 or CD, please phone us on 0121 464 3123 or email accommunications@birmingham.gov.uk.

Comment on this page

Please send us your feedback about this web page.