Cole Valley Cycle Route
This route forms part of the National Cycle Network Route 53 which runs from Birmingham to Peterborough. Within Birmingham the Cole Valley Route provides a mainly surfaced off road route through Hodge Hill, Yardley, Hall Green and Selly Oak, thus linking the east and south of Birmingham.
Recent work jointly funded by Sustrans, the leading sustainable travel charity, and Birmingham City Council has improved the three mile stretch of the route from Stechford through the Kingfisher Country Park to the city boundary at Kingshurst. Access onto this link is at the following locations (from west to east):
• Stechford fairground site – the route starts at the A4040 Station Road, half a mile north of Stechford station and shops.
• The Raven pub – on Hodge Hill Road.
• Cole Hall Lane bridge – new toucan installed
• Brook Meadow Road
• Copplestone Close, Old Forest Way and Bramblewoods - provide access to the housing areas.
• Packington Avenue – a pedestrian refuge is provided across Packington Avenue
• There route crosses the existing path between Leacroft Avenue (near to International School) and Kendrick Avenue (near to Hillstone Junior School).
• Babbs Mill Local Nature Reserve in Kingshurst - connects to the existing route into Solihull.
Future improvements are being developed to improve the Cole Valley Cycle route from Stechford to Bordesley Green East, and from the A45 to the Grand Union Canal at Small Heath Highway.
Cole Valley Discovery Trail
Do you fancy being an Explorer? Do you want to discover new and exciting things? If so, take the Cole Valley Discovery Trail which runs between Stetchford and Babbs Mill on a surfaced path.
Hoppy, the frog, and his pal Bubbles, the fish, have left nine clue panels for you to find. Hoppy's Trail starts in Stechford and Bubbles' trail starts at Babbs Mill. You can do the whole route in one go, either walking or on your bike, or in sections - it's up to you. Why not take a picnic too?
For more information download the Discovery Trail Map .
An open data map and journey planner is available which covers Birmingham and the Cole Valley route.