Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Regeneration and clearance


When we regenerate an area, sometimes homes have to be vacated - and even demolished - and current residents rehoused. This is known as ‘clearance’.

Birmingham City Council recognises that if you live in an area that is being redeveloped and you have to move home, it can be a very worrying and stressful time. We are committed to ensuring that you are kept fully informed and supported throughout the process. We will make sure that there is always someone to answer your questions.

Essential Information
  • During your first interview we will go through a range of available housing options and tell you how we can help you access them.

    Options include:

    • local authority (council) housing
    • housing associations (registered social landlords)
    • privately rented homes
    • affordable ownership options, including shared ownership.

    If you need Birmingham City Council to find you a new home, you will be allocated a home that is suitable for the size of your household.

    Here are some examples of the type of accommodation you may be offered in accordance with our current Allocation Scheme:

    • single person or couple with no children: one-bedroom flat
    • single person or couple aged 60 or over: one bedroom flat or bungalow
    • single person or couple with one child: two-bedroom flat, maisonette or house
    • single person or couple with two children: two or three bedroom flat, maisonette or house, depending on the ages and genders of the children
    • single person or couple with three or more children: three- or four-bedroom flat, maisonette or house, depending on the ages and genders of the children
    • two adults who live together as ‘sharers’: two-bedroom flat.

    You could be offered a flat, maisonette or house depending on the size of your family. You cannot state that you only want to be considered for a house or that you will only consider housing association properties.

    For bigger families needing large three-bedroom or four-bedroom properties, all areas of the city will need to be included in searches for suitable accommodation – unless there is a good reason for you being unable to relocate to some of them. This is due to the shortage of properties of this size.

    Please note that if any your children are over 18, they will be considered as adults needing their own bedroom. If all of your children are over 18, you will not qualify for a house (only a flat or maisonette).

    There is a limited supply of ground floor properties. These are usually allocated to households who have a proven need for this type of accommodation, such as physical disability.

    Birmingham City Council’s housing service no longer operates a ‘like-for-like’ policy for people affected by clearance schemes. This means that you may not be offered the same type or size of property as the one you currently live in.

    You can apply to other local authorities for housing in their area and your dedicated housing officer will assist you. However you will not be given the same level of priority by other local authorities as you will have with Birmingham City Council, as you are affected by a clearance programme within Birmingham.

  • Before you are made any offers of alternative housing, you will be visited by a clearance housing officer who will explain the whole rehousing process to you. This dedicated officer will be your first point of contact for any concerns or questions you have and will work with you throughout the process. If they are not available at any time, another member of the Clearance Team can assist.

  • One of our dedicated housing officers will explain Birmingham Home Choice to you and help you to get started making bids.

    The scheme is open to everybody who is registered for rehousing with Birmingham City Council. You can see all the available homes either on the Birmingham Home Choice website www.birminghamhomechoice.org.uk or in a paper copy of the Property Newsletter.

    Once you have found a home you would like to live in, you need to register your interest in it by 'making a bid' or 'bidding'. You can place bids for council homes (and some housing association properties) via the website; over the phone using text messaging or interactive voice recognition; or via digital TV.

  • Customers moving due to clearance are eligible for a free removal within the City of Birmingham, as well as the disconnection and reconnection of a cooker and a washing machine. A removal (including the provision of packing boxes) can only be booked when customers have accepted a new tenancy or found a new property to move into. Please contact the Clearance Team for further information.

    Customers affected by clearance are given a maximum of two weeks to move to their new home from the time the tenancy is accepted.

    For tenants who pay all or some of their rent in their current home, rent will be payable at the new address from the tenancy start date. As it would be unfair to expect customers to pay rent at both the current and new homes, two rents are only charged if the customer delays moving without good reason.

    The Environmental Team can be contacted on 0121 303 1112 to arrange for the collection and disposal of bulky items of rubbish, including unwanted furniture. It is preferable to give as much notice as possible.

  • tel: 0121 303 1892


    post: Clearance Team
    Land and Property
    PO Box 16579
    B2 2GQ

Frequently Asked Questions
    • If you have lived in your property for 12 months or more, a statutory ‘Home Loss’ payment currently of £4,700 (reviewed annually by central government) is payable when you move out. If you have lived in your property for less than 12 months, you may be entitled to a pro-rata payment, for example, if you have lived there for six months you will receive half.

      Your payment will be adjusted to take account of any current and late tenancy arrears, and rechargeable repairs to your existing or previous tenancies.

      This compensation can only be claimed after you have moved to your new home and handed in the keys to your current property. We will arrange for a cheque to be sent to you as quickly as possible following receipt of your completed Home Loss form. Payments are usually made within four to six weeks.

      You can also apply for a ‘Disturbance Allowance’ to claim back some of the money that you have spent because of moving home. For example, you can claim the costs of adapting carpets and curtains, although you cannot claim the costs of buying new ones. We will discuss how you can make your claim when one of our housing officers first visits you. It is very important that you keep receipts for all payments you make so your claim can be properly assessed.

      We will provide a free removal service within the city of Birmingham, and pay compensation regardless of the type of property or tenancy you move to.

    • The council will rehouse everybody in your household who was living with you when clearance was declared; this may be some months before the rehousing starts. We will expect you to provide proofs of residency and identification for each member of the household. It is vital that you provide us with accurate details.

    • We are committed to ensuring that your move is as stress-free as possible.

      To help you, we will arrange to move your furniture and belongings to your new home and pay for it. After your removal has been booked we can arrange for boxes to be delivered to you for you to pack your possessions. We will also arrange for qualified engineers to disconnect and reconnect your cooker and washing machine, free of charge.

      To ensure your property is secured on the day you move out, and to protect other residents in the area, we encourage you to book a morning removal.

    • If you accept another Birmingham City Council tenancy, the necessary forms will be completed when you sign to accept the property. Your benefits will then transfer to your new address.

      If you accept a housing association tenancy, you may need to make an appointment at your local neighbourhood office if you need help to complete the forms.

    • This depends on how flexible you are able to be in terms of where you can, or are willing to, move to. Under Birmingham Home Choice, available properties will be advertised every week which will show you where and what size/type of homes are available. You may find that there are several suitable properties in an area you want to move to, in which case it is more likely that your bid will be successful and you will be invited to view; an offer may then follow. If your choices are too limited it will take longer for you to be able to make bids, and then you may not be invited to a viewing.

      If you are not being practical about your choices one of our housing officers will have to make bids for you. If you are invited to view a suitable property and fail to attend, this could count as one of your three offers.

    • In most cases you will be made up to three offers of alternative accommodation, following successful bids through Birmingham Home Choice. These could be council homes or housing association properties, if you have placed bids on homes managed by a registered social landlord.

      In you insist on relocating to an area where the council has no properties or to a property you are not eligible for, we will make one offer of accommodation that meets your needs before we take legal action to gain possession of your home.

    • If you feel that you need an adapted property, we will arrange for an assessment to be undertaken. This will determine what adaptations you need, and whether these need to be in place at the time you move. If you are currently in a property that hasn’t got these adaptations, we will arrange to have them fitted at the earliest opportunity after you move into your new home.

      If you currently have adaptations and need them straight away, we will either identify a suitable property that has them or have them fitted before you move.

    • If you have a medical condition that you feel means you need a specific type of property, such as a ground floor flat, you need to provide supporting information so that the council’s medical advisor can make a recommendation.

      It is very important that you tell us about any needs you have at your first interview. The clearance officer can help you to complete the necessary forms, but you must provide a letter of support from your consultant if you have one, or other evidence of your situation. We cannot accept letters from your GP unless your doctor can provide a detailed summary of your situation and, in his/her opinion, state the type of housing you need to move to. Please note that we are unable to reimburse any expenses involved in obtaining supporting medical evidence.

    • Customers affected by clearance are given a maximum of two weeks to move from the time the tenancy is accepted. We can only extend this period if there are exceptional circumstances.

      If you pay all or some of your rent in your current home, rent will be payable at your new address from the tenancy start date. We would not expect you to pay rent at both your current and new homes unless you delay moving without a good reason.

    • It is important that you remove all of your possessions and any rubbish from your property. A charge may be made for the removal and disposal of items you have left behind. You can arrange your own rubbish collection, including bulky items, by calling Contact Birmingham on 0121 303 1112.

    • The keys to your current home should be taken to your local neighbourhood office unless an alternative arrangement has been made with your clearance housing officer.

      If you fail to return your keys on the date agreed, you will be charged an extra week’s rent. We will not process your ‘Home Loss’ payment (see next FAQ) until the keys to your property have been returned and we are satisfied that you have not left any rubbish at the property, including in the garden.

    • Birmingham City Council has been bringing all its homes up to the Decent Homes standard and this work is almost complete. If the property you view doesn’t already have these facilities, it will be on a planned programme of work to be carried out in the near future.

      As housing association properties tend to have been built more recently than council homes, it is more likely that homes managed by an association will have double-glazing and central heating.