Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



How to get adult social care services

Getting an assessment

If you think that you or someone you care for needs social care support or adaptations or equipment fitted to their home, please contact us about getting an assessment of your (or their) social care needs.

To get an adult social care assessment if you are:

  • over 65, you need to contact Adults and Communities Access Point (ACAP) by phone on 0121 303 1234 or by email ACAP@birmingham.gov.uk.
  • under 65, contact the service direct. For a list of our services, please see the Adult social care services page.

If you are applying for a new or replacement Blue Badge, you need to contact the Blue Badge service direct.

What happens next?

If we think you could be eligible for our services, we will arrange to visit you to talk about your social care needs.

What happens if I am not eligible for social care services from you?

If we cannot help you with your social care needs we will tell you about other organisations that may be able to help. These could be private and voluntary organisations and community groups.

What happens if I am eligible for social care services from you?

If you are eligible, we will work with you to find out what your social care needs are and what you can do for yourself to meet your needs. If you cannot meet your needs yourself, we will help you to get services that will support you and that will help you to be as independent as possible.

We write the information about how you would like to organise the support to meet your social care needs in your support plan. To find out more about support plans, please see the pages for Getting social care if you are over 65 or Getting social care if you are under 65.

Other pages

Getting social care if you are over 65

Getting social care if you are under 65

Did You Know?
How Adults and Communities is providing a more personal approach to social care.

Other websites

My Care in Birmingham
A directory of services that provide social care support for adults in Birmingham.

Leaflets and documents

For a full list of our leaflets, please see the Information leaflets page. To read our leaflets on-screen (on your computer) or print them, click on the title or the picture below. If you would like one of our leaflets, forms or other documents in another language, in Braille, in large print or as an audio version on CD, please phone the Communications team on 0121 464 3123.

All our adult social care leaflets, forms and documents are free in any format.