Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Advertisement

Advertising

War Memorials: Boldmere Swimming Club

This 80cm tall memorial stands in the reception area of Wyndley Leisure Centre's Swimming Baths, having previously stood in Sutton Park. Showing an adult teaching a child to swim, it was sculpted by Benjamin Creswick in 1920, and cast in the back garden of his home, 'Elmwood', in nearby Jockey Road.

Creswick (1853 - 1946) came to Birmingham to work at the School of Art, as Master of Modelling and Modelled Design, from 1889- 1918. He exhibited at the Royal Birmingham Society of Arts in 1914 and was responsible for a number of architectural sculptures, which can still be seen on Birmingham buildings.

The inscription on the memorial, all in capitals, reads:

"This statue which formerly
stood in Sutton Park, was
presented to the borough in
1921 by the Boldmere Swimming
Club in memory of club members
who fell in the 1914-18 war"

The memorial is accessible to the public, whenever the swimming baths are open.

Boldmere Swimming Club still exists.

War memorials